Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Laptops  (Read 1866 times)

WashLaw

• View Profile
Laptops
« on: November 26, 2008, 12:17:47 AM »
I'm considering buying a laptop on Black Friday because i desperately need a new one. However, I do know of some UGs that require you to buy a laptop from the university itself. Are there any law schools that have such a policy? If so, which ones and how common is it? For the record, I have looked at several school websites for their policies. I could not find one that specifically required a university-bought laptop, but there were a couple that I wasn't sure on: GLUC, UVA, and UChi.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Laptops
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 12:36:17 AM »
I never ran into anywhere that requires a laptop specifically from them.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 12:42:47 AM »
I think most schools just have standards your laptop is supposed to meet, and some will only offer IT support if you buy their recommended brand.  I can't imagine if you walked in with a brand new Dell they'd say "Sorry, kid, you can't register for classes unless you buy one of our Thinkpads."

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 12:19:17 PM »
I'm considering buying a laptop on Black Friday because i desperately need a new one. However, I do know of some UGs that require you to buy a laptop from the university itself. Are there any law schools that have such a policy? If so, which ones and how common is it? For the record, I have looked at several school websites for their policies. I could not find one that specifically required a university-bought laptop, but there were a couple that I wasn't sure on: GLUC, UVA, and UChi.

You definitely don't need a university-bought laptop for UChi. The ones you can buy through the school are just stock Dells. They don't even make us use PCs or anything--Macs are quite popular.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 12:53:41 AM »
so what did you end up doing?
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 09:48:50 AM »
Well I didn't get in line early enough to get the laptop I wanted on Black Friday but I plan on getting a refurbished Dell online.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 11:25:18 AM »
OMG, i hate dells...
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 11:42:04 AM »
Dells suck. Mine had problems before exams each and every semester. Then I got a macbook.

Minnesota has, in the past, required that you get a laptop through them. I don't know if they're planning on doing that again.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 12:03:46 PM »
I'll just chime in and say I like Dells, I've owned seven, no mech problems, software issues, but I'm pretty handy with that. I gues the key is to get a new one every 18 months before they wear out.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

WashLaw

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 12:07:19 PM »
OMG, i hate dells...
Whats wrong with Dells? What do I not know?