Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help!  (Read 664 times)

zcdc32

• View Profile
Help!
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:22:01 PM »
Hey guys, thank you in advance for the help, and good luck to all.

Here's the deal. I'm probably taking the LSAT in February, although I am registered to take it in December. (Taking a year off, so all that's taken care of. No need to discuss those issues. Unless I should take it in June. Hitting the admission cycle early seems nice. Etc.)

Senior, 3.7, respectable Southern state school, leadership-oriented resume. Recommendations will be thorough. Personal statement will be fine. LSAT's the kicker.

I signed up for a Kaplan online course (which I'm reading just now on this board is a "waste of time" among other things...I really hope that's not the case considering the money I spent), gone through most of the lessons. Scores are as follows - 149 (diagnostic), 158, 157, 158, 161.

I really want somewhere between 161-165. Of course, I want to get in this range by February. Kaplan has assured me I'll still have online materials, etc., until the February test assuming I choose to take it then.

I'm getting around 42 right on LR, 23 or so on RC. Problem is, I'm getting about 12 or 13 right on LG. It's kicking my proverbial LSAT ass. Some schools I'm aspiring toward...Tennessee, Alabama, Wake Forest, UNC Chapel Hill, Vanderbilt, GW, Columbia. (The last five are what I'm really shooting for.)

Is it possible with the time I have until February to raise LG to 17-20 right answers? Am I totally screwed? Should I just ignore the Kaplan LG approach and try another book? Get a tutor? And in terms of keeping my strenghts solid (RC and LR), is that plausible considering the time I'd probably have to devote to LG? Obviously I'm a little worried about it.

OK. I know I've probably reiterated the concerns of countless other rookies to this board. Again, I appreciate your patience. Please let me know what advice you have and what you think.

ManhattanLSAT

• http://LSATblog.blogspot.com
    • View Profile
    • Free LSAT tips and tricks
Re: Help!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:37:55 PM »
LG is typically the easiest section to improve on, and given the significant disparity in your scores on each section, it sounds like the Kaplan LG approach hasn't been working for you. Most of my students benefit by using the techniques covered in the Powerscore LGB. I'm summarized some of the tips on my website (linked below). Let me know if I can be of any additional help!

zcdc32

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 04:45:05 PM »
Thank you, and I'll let you know!

Any other advice or similar experiences?

Live Free or Die

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 05:14:34 PM »
I'm not really a believer in courses like Kaplan, although I've never actually taken one myself. By the the most helpful thing for me was taking a lot of previously administered tests...I scored around a 160 on my first diagnostic and raised it to 172 within a few months (although I messed up on test day and got a 170). I feel like if you can make yourself sit down and really work on it, you don't need to spend money on a course. For logic games, I used previously administered LSATs in conjunction with PowerScore's logic games setups book, although I would have gotten the logic games bible if I had more time. I liked the setups book because I found that on a particular logic game I would either get every question wrong or every question right. Sitting down and really analyzing why I was setting up certain types of games wrong took out a lot of the guesswork for me. Don't get the setups book unless you have the previously administered tests though; the book only describes how to set up each question and doesn't include the questions themselves.

Also, try taking old tests with no breaks in between sections, or taking a bunch of LR (or RC or LG) sections all in a row. It'll help make you more resilient under fatigue, and eventually you'll get a good "feel" for each type of question, and you'll be a lot quicker. I started out only taking one section at a time, and it didn't really work for me. Hope this helps.

zcdc32

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 05:37:06 PM »
A couple questions relating to your comments...

Would two months be sufficient to study the LG Bible? You mentioned not having enough time. Starting tomorrow, nine weeks until the February test.

Also, when you say "previously administered tests", would the practice tests provided by Kaplan be exactly that? All their questions are from said tests, but I'd say they're out of order...so I'm thinking the LG Bible's the way to go. Not sure, though. Thanks for your help, and I look forward to your reply.

Live Free or Die

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 05:49:04 PM »
Yeah, when I said "not enough time", I meant that I had two weeks left until test time and I really needed a boost in my LG score. Nine weeks should be good as long as you hit it hard and don't slack off (I started about 3 months before test time but then quit for a little bit because my schoolwork got really intense).

As for questions, I think the important thing is that they are actual questions and not made up. There are a lot of books out there with "practice questions" and "practice tests" that are absolute crap. I personally like working within the framework of the test, but I don't doubt that Kaplan knows what they are doing (one of my friends is a manager at Kaplan, so I certainly hope so). For me it was an issue of paying for a course.

Jeepstress

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 06:58:04 PM »
I had the same trouble with games, even after I devoured the Logic Games Bible.

What's helping me is TestSherpa:  www.testsherpa.com.   In 8 days I won't ever think about the LSAT again, so while I'm still thinking of it, I wholeheartedly recommend Test Sherpa.

He sells a really good guidebook for a mere $10, and for another $29 you can get audio lessons.  I'm just finishing up the audio section on Games (it's a 4 hour workshop) and I have improved a lot.   He handles grouping games in a unique way, i.e., a way that even a numbskull like I can understand.

I'll know how much better I'm doing by tomorrow, when I resume my grueling practice test schedule.

DEFINITELY CHECK OUT TEST SHERPA.  The methods are a little different from Logic Games Bible, and they're certainly a heck of a lot better than anything I "learned" in The Princeton Review.