Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How Does This List Look?!  (Read 1419 times)

onmytoes812

• View Profile
How Does This List Look?!
« on: November 25, 2008, 10:19:15 PM »
So I'm trying to come up with a short (but actually kind of long) list of law schools and it's a problem. First, the list, then a couple of question.

Reach Schools
UVA
Northwestern
Georgetown
Cornell
Duke

Mid Range
Vanderbilt
Georgia
George Washington
Emory?

Safety
Tennessee
Alabama
Loyola Chicago/DePaul?

Desperate
Samford

How does this look if I want to practice in either 1. Chicago, 2. Atlanta, or 3. DC?

Given these choices, what kind of scores SHOULD I have? (I won't tell you my actual scores)
Any softs that would help? (I won't tell you what I have either)

Information: Junior at Auburn University (Alabama), female

Thanks!

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: How Does This List Look?!
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 10:23:32 PM »

Given these choices, what kind of scores SHOULD I have? (I won't tell you my actual scores) high 160s/low 170s
Any softs that would help? (I won't tell you what I have either)  be a URM

awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 10:30:31 PM »
Kasm is right:  without any specifics (LSAT, GPA, Softs), we cannot make a determination.

LSN is the base-line research tool for this kind of thing, so you may want to start there.

Also ditto on Kasm's point of high numbers and unique softs.  Softs are only helpful if they make you stand out.  Numbers are the most important.

Good luck!

onmytoes812

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:38:46 PM »
i just wanted some input on basic LSAT and GPA before you saw what i have, given my list. my current GPA is 3.68 but it will probably end up around a 3.6 when i start applying. i haven't taken the LSAT but my Kaplan official practice (which is made of all real LSAT questions) was a 160, so that's a pretty good cold score to be working with.  i'm aiming 170.

softs...i will be writing an honors thesis, i've studied abroad, and i'm probably TOO involved. next summer i will be doing the freshman orientation program at auburn which is actually a pretty big deal (not saying i'm a big deal, i just don't want you to underestimate how much i could talk that experience up). otherwise i'm a straight white girl with both parents alive.  nothing too interesting...left-handed! i'm sure that will help SO much :)

besides the reaches, would the atlanta market be generally safe with vandy and UGA? and could i possibly go chicago with vandy?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 11:04:24 PM »
It Atlanta, you should be good with Emory, UGA, or Vandy.  I would also add Georgia State as a good safety- its much better than Samford, and if you score just a 160 you'll get in. 

Also, I wouldn't consider your softs to be anything incredible.  They're fine, but nothing that would get you above your numbers.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

onmytoes812

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 01:05:52 AM »
thanks...clearly my softs aren't going to get me anywhere my numbers wouldn't but i guess if they're comparing two people with similar scores, it could help there.

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 02:02:31 AM »
So I'm trying to come up with a short (but actually kind of long) list of law schools and it's a problem. First, the list, then a couple of question.

Reach Schools
UVA
Northwestern
Georgetown
Cornell
Duke

Mid Range
Vanderbilt
Georgia
George Washington
Emory?

Safety
Tennessee
Alabama
Loyola Chicago/DePaul?

Desperate
Samford

How does this look if I want to practice in either 1. Chicago, 2. Atlanta, or 3. DC?

Given these choices, what kind of scores SHOULD I have? (I won't tell you my actual scores)
Any softs that would help? (I won't tell you what I have either)

Information: Junior at Auburn University (Alabama), female

Thanks!

Is this some sort of guessing game we are supposed to play? lol

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 02:57:54 PM »
i just wanted some input on basic LSAT and GPA before you saw what i have, given my list. my current GPA is 3.68 but it will probably end up around a 3.6 when i start applying. i haven't taken the LSAT but my Kaplan official practice (which is made of all real LSAT questions) was a 160, so that's a pretty good cold score to be working with.  i'm aiming 170.

softs...i will be writing an honors thesis, i've studied abroad, and i'm probably TOO involved. next summer i will be doing the freshman orientation program at auburn which is actually a pretty big deal (not saying i'm a big deal, i just don't want you to underestimate how much i could talk that experience up). otherwise i'm a straight white girl with both parents alive.  nothing too interesting...left-handed! i'm sure that will help SO much :)

besides the reaches, would the atlanta market be generally safe with vandy and UGA? and could i possibly go chicago with vandy?

Make a list of schools to apply to after you get an LSAT back. Until then, it's all too speculative.

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2008, 02:07:42 PM »

Yep. Vandy places very well in Chi-town... it was originally one of the reasons I came down here from Boston.  For the Class of '09's summer employment, we had students working at top firms in Chicago (12), in New York (25), Atlanta (17), DC (15), and Houston/Dallas (13).  Just about half the class summered in major markets, and the rest were scattered through firms in smaller markets.  Geographic dispersal is very evenly spread throughout the country, thought less historically have gone to the left coast and Boston.

With a 3.6 and a 169 you would've been competitive at Vandy this cycle, but keep an eye out for a possible LSAT boost next year.  The median LSAT has gone up a full point each of the last three years... it's currently 168, higher than Cornell's 167. That said, anything above a 166 would get you a good look from Vandy and Cornell, and one more LSAT point would give you a good shot at Duke. Both Cornell and Duke place really well in Chicago from my understanding... Duke put out employment info last year (as did Vandy), and the other schools on your list should all be making that information available this year. You'll be able to see what firms/cities each graduate went to, which will help in deciding which of your accepted schools is worth your investment. G'luck.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10