Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I tell them everything if they dont ask?  (Read 552 times)

stbjm02

• View Profile
    • Email
Should I tell them everything if they dont ask?
« on: November 25, 2008, 04:41:38 PM »
I have a criminal history followed by over a year of recovery. I have 1 detainment, 3 separate arrests that were all dismissed, a DUI that was expunged, and a an arrest that I am on probation for right now. Some applications only ask for convictions, some for any arrest or charges juvenile and/or adult, some all charges unless expunged. I was given the advice to send the exact same list of charges, arrests, and dispositions to all schools. I was told to say something like: I know the question may have not been specifically asked but I am noting in full disclosure and candor my whole past. I would then finish it off by saying something like I am happy to say I have been in recovery since November of 2007. I will include a supplemental statement explaining the circumstances in my life but take full responsibility for my actions. The question is: Do you agree that I should tell them more than they ask? Will they look at it as being honest or look down on it? I know this is a gray area but tell me your opinion.

ak2ca

• View Profile
    • LSN
Re: Should I tell them everything if they dont ask?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 05:10:39 PM »
As I understand it, the reason that schools ask for this information is because it could potentially impact your admission to the bar down the road. If, during the process of assessing your aptitude for admission, the ABA finds out that you with-held or supplied inaccurate information in your application to law school this could give them reason to question your ethics. My advise is to disclose it all and include an addendum explaining how this period in your life is behind you. Good luck!

stbjm02

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I tell them everything if they dont ask?
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 05:26:00 PM »
Will do and I am going to include in my supplement how I spoke to NY and NJ Bar and was told was history should not keep me from sitting for the bar. Thanks. Any other opinions will be greatly appreciated.