Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: North Carolina Central  (Read 4072 times)

taft52

• UGPA 2.932 LSAT 160
    • View Profile
Re: North Carolina Central
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2008, 03:01:48 PM »
Why don't you have the option to move?  Are you black? 

That's so incredibly stupid, I don't know how to respond.

i went to unc as well.  you should definitely go there over central.  i took the LSAT at central and i wasnt impressed at all.  the building was new, i'll grant you that, but the surrounding area was depressing.  campbell is not a bad choice if you want to stay and practice law in north carolina -- their alumni are everywhere.  it was a campbell attorney that broke the duke lacrosse case for the defense, uncovering the needle in the mountain of bogus evidence from the DA's office that exonerated all the players.

would wake forest not be another option?  they're ranked about the same as unc, and winston-salem is a pretty great place to live (my mom works there; i've worked there for a summer). 

Oh, I'm hoping to go to UNC, I'm just looking at backups at this point. I am applying to Campbell as well, but I just don't know if Campbell is worth the 4x tuition increase over NCCU.

Due to my wife's job, I'm pretty much tied to the Triangle right now, and Wake Forest would be a pretty hefty hike.

logickills

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2008, 05:19:38 PM »
i went to unc as well.  you should definitely go there over central.  i took the LSAT at central and i wasnt impressed at all.  the building was new, i'll grant you that, but the surrounding area was depressing.  campbell is not a bad choice if you want to stay and practice law in north carolina -- their alumni are everywhere.  it was a campbell attorney that broke the duke lacrosse case for the defense, uncovering the needle in the mountain of bogus evidence from the DA's office that exonerated all the players.

would wake forest not be another option?  they're ranked about the same as unc, and winston-salem is a pretty great place to live (my mom works there; i've worked there for a summer). 

Oh, I'm hoping to go to UNC, I'm just looking at backups at this point. I am applying to Campbell as well, but I just don't know if Campbell is worth the 4x tuition increase over NCCU.

Due to my wife's job, I'm pretty much tied to the Triangle right now, and Wake Forest would be a pretty hefty hike.

ahh okay.  i would still pick campbell over nccu.  i think the alumni network is stronger especially for the north carolina market and will probably yield a better job upon graduation, so the extra cost would probably be worth it in the long-run.  but i guess it depends on what you want to do after law school, area of law, public v. private, etc.  and i totally understand cost as a factor.  maybe look into scholarships for either school?  i dont know anything about either of their financial aid or scholarship options. 

in any event, good luck to you and your wife.
accepted: duke, georgetown, fordham $$, umich $$, nyu!, uchicago, uva, gw
pending: berkeley (rejected), yale (rejected), stanford, harvard, columbia (WL), upenn (WL)
lsn: logickills

wiseowl

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2008, 03:49:17 PM »
i hate to be the debbie downer but if the numbers under your name are accurate you are going to have a very tough time getting into UNC.  i'd look into campbell if it's financially feasible, and go nccu if it isn't.  if nothing else you could do nccu evenings and find some kind of work for a firm during the day to grease the rails a little bit jobwise.

by the way, I also live in Durham, and my wife and I think the city's motto should be "Durham: It's Not That Bad!".  Downtown Durham is delightful and I live near RTP, which just isn't the same Durham everyone thinks about.  I'll grant the areas around Duke and NCCU aren't spectacular but y'know what?  Columbia's in Harlem.  GULC is two steps from a terrible neighborhood.  Are you there for law school or are you there to sightsee?
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/wiseowl
Pending: Columbia, Emory, UNC
In: UVA, Duke, GULC, Vandy, UGA ($), WFU, GW, George Mason
Neither In nor Out:
Out:

Contract2008

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2008, 08:24:52 PM »

That's so incredibly stupid, I don't know how to respond.

Those are two SEPERATE questions independent of each other.  The first question was to inquire about why you can't relocate and the second one was about whether you'll get affirmative action and thus increase your chance of getting into UNC. What's so stupid about that? 

naturallybeyoutiful

• Sr. Citizen
  • Everything is everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2008, 07:29:45 PM »
Go for it!  Maybe you too could be governor someday!  ;)
Harvard Law: What, like it's hard?

ruraljuror

• AOL Instant Messenger - ruraljuror07
    • View Profile
    • My LSN Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 10:25:02 PM »
I visited North Carolina Central Law last week. It's a tier-four HBC in Durham, NC. (I live in the area, and am applying to other schools in the area.) I am looking at NCCU primarily for minority status.

Anyway, the school has a pretty good clinical program, and a fantastic bar passage rate.

Does anyone know anything else about this school that I'm missing?

My understanding is that a significant number of professionals in Research Triangle Park (RTP) pursue a JD at NCCU while working. That probably accounts for part of the high bar passage rate.

AgreeToDisagree

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2009, 04:43:01 PM »
I visited North Carolina Central Law last week. It's a tier-four HBC in Durham, NC. (I live in the area, and am applying to other schools in the area.) I am looking at NCCU primarily for minority status.

Anyway, the school has a pretty good clinical program, and a fantastic bar passage rate.

Does anyone know anything else about this school that I'm missing?

I am soo tired of white people's neurotic necessity to apply to HBCU's in some ignoramus attempt at "minority status." The reason it is characterized as an Historically Black College or University is because not too long ago in America, black people were barred from obtaining a legal profession due to the majority communities xenophobic,racist, supremist mentality. Subsequently, blacks had no choice but to open HBCU's fueled by dogged strength, by the desire to be educated, despite the racist status-quo. There are many qualified black people who could be there attaining a quality legal education in lieu of individuals like yourself who are looking at NCCU primarily for minority status. I guess it's another illustration of blacksploitation, only this time you don't want diamonds, natural resourced or slave labor.

"We have all met that type-- know-it-alls in our society who appoint themselves as infallible experts, but who actually know very little." - Ben Carson M.D.

taft52

• UGPA 2.932 LSAT 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2009, 12:24:20 PM »
  I am soo tired of white people's neurotic necessity to apply to HBCU's in some ignoramus attempt at "minority status." The reason it is characterized as an Historically Black College or University is because not too long ago in America, black people were barred from obtaining a legal profession due to the majority communities xenophobic,racist, supremist mentality. Subsequently, blacks had no choice but to open HBCU's fueled by dogged strength, by the desire to be educated, despite the racist status-quo. There are many qualified black people who could be there attaining a quality legal education in lieu of individuals like yourself who are looking at NCCU primarily for minority status. I guess it's another illustration of blacksploitation, only this time you don't want diamonds, natural resourced or slave labor.
So let me get this straight... I'm trying to make ends meet, go to a school that might be cheaper for me that is 4 miles from where I live, and I'm neurotic, making an "ignoramus attempt" (which I'm pretty sure isn't something you can actually do), and I'm trying my hand at blacksploitation? Really? At a school that has a 39% white enrollment rate?

taft52

• UGPA 2.932 LSAT 160
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2009, 12:48:12 PM »
Let it go.  This guy does not yield to the force of logic or facts or reality. 

Anyway, NCCU is actually 44% white, with another 4.5% unknown.  However, the entire minority population of the school is only 49.7%.  I seriously doubt you will get a "white person AA boost" for diversity, which makes your attempt at least a little ignorant.  That and it's just not that great of a school. 
I think the African American population is only 49.7%, not the overall minority scholarship (at leat for the law school). From their own literature, the white population of their incoming classes at the law school has been 39%, 37% and 46%.

wellpreserved

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2009, 10:09:29 PM »
I attended Central and UNC undergrad. It goes without saying that UNC and Duke are tops but to consider Campbell over Central if you are commmitted to the state is crazy, IMO. Campbell is in the midst of a move and their reputation is not as strong in the RDU as Central's. Central's law school gets a great deal of respect here. The website lacking some information is more a function of the UG institution being slack as hell with technology than them trying to hide anything, I think. I have spoken with the Director of Enrollment many times and she has always been forthcoming with information.

And being around working class poor people won't kill you. The n'hood around the law school is more old than dangerous -- not unlike a lot of urban campuses. The law school is new, the education solid, the rep good in the state. And if you can't go Duke or UNC it's your next best bet and you won't be writing a four digit monthly check to Sallie Mae!

Campbell can in no way justify it's price tag to me.
I tested between 151 and 162. I hoped for the high end and ended up in the middle. Still, not a bad plan overall, I think.

LSAT: 156 (not taking it again and you can't make me)
GPA: 3.4ish. Still a semester to go
URM, non-trad, 12 yrs work exp, published
Looking for low debt and high aid