Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Quit law school and re-apply?  (Read 2470 times)

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Quit law school and re-apply?
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 11:25:29 PM »
Thanks guys.  I actually went to this school with the intent to transfer.  I know, it's stupid, as I'm learning that the grades are such a crapshoot.  But I did it because I was pretty sure I could.  And I know I have the intelligence to be at a T15-T25 school, which is where I wanted to be before I started law school.  I'm now at a Midwestern State school.  It's just not a good fit in terms of location (I've been living in this state for a few years now, and have not had good experiences) and activities.  If I finish my first year, do mediocre on the exams, logically it would make sense to stay for the last two years because the first year is the hardest.  I'm not willing to do that. So it's either transfer (which isn't a guarantee), or drop out now. 

The whole semester I've been obsessing about these two options to the extent that I haven't been focusing on my coursework t the extent that I need to.  Yeah, I know, not smart but that's just how miserable it's been

It sounds to me your overly concerned about the pedigree of the law school you go to rather than being a lawyer. If being a lawyer and studying the law is not number one on your priority list then I tend to think you would just find another set of reasons at your new school to not put the effort behind it. If you donít want to be a lawyer regardless of where you go to school then donít put yourself through this hell. Go do something you will enjoy.

My thoughts exactly.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 12:17:32 PM »
And I know I have the intelligence to be at a T15-T25 school, which is where I wanted to be before I started law school.... If I finish my first year, do mediocre on the exams, logically it would make sense to stay for the last two years because the first year is the hardest. 

First, I know quite a few highly intelligent people who went to lower-ranked schools.  If you're holding yourself above you classmates, it's probably difficult for you to make friends there.  These connections are part of what makes LS bearable--and, for many of us, enjoyable.

Secondly, it doesn't make sense "logically" to stay put if you're miserable.  I'm a third-year, and it's plenty of work (although you can elect to take it easier if you wish).  If you don't like your state school, and don't want to work in that state, it absolutely does NOT make sense to stay.  If you're at a lower-ranked school, your degree will still have regional appeal... but it won't be national.  You should transfer to a school in the state where you wish to practice, regardless of whether it falls into the arbitrary "T15-25" range. 
I am officially a law school graduate : )

harryreasoner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 01:56:27 PM »
We need more information about your specific dislikes to analyze whether it's a question of not liking LS or not liking YOUR LS.  If it's the latter, you should work your a** off to do well on your finals.... then get to work on your transfer apps. 

Transferring is nearly impossible, and law school is what you make it.  If you can't find something to like about the one you are at you probably won't like any. 

PSUDSL08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LS #'s
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 08:07:44 PM »
Thanks guys.  I actually went to this school with the intent to transfer.  I know, it's stupid, as I'm learning that the grades are such a crapshoot.  But I did it because I was pretty sure I could.  And I know I have the intelligence to be at a T15-T25 school, which is where I wanted to be before I started law school.  I'm now at a Midwestern State school.  It's just not a good fit in terms of location (I've been living in this state for a few years now, and have not had good experiences) and activities.  If I finish my first year, do mediocre on the exams, logically it would make sense to stay for the last two years because the first year is the hardest.  I'm not willing to do that. So it's either transfer (which isn't a guarantee), or drop out now. 

The whole semester I've been obsessing about these two options to the extent that I haven't been focusing on my coursework t the extent that I need to.  Yeah, I know, not smart but that's just how miserable it's been.

I don't think its stupid to attend a school with the intention of transferring. I feel for you because I also attended a midwest school that wasn't a good fit for me, and had every intention of getting out of there from the day I set foot on campus. But I think the idea of dropping out, trying to find a meaningful job in this economy, and reapplying with what will become an extremely competitive applicant pool isn't a prudent idea unless you are unsure that you want to practice law. Not to mention, you'll be throwing away a year's worth of tuition.

Assuming you're at a T2/T3 school, you can make a lateral transfer if you're in the top half of your class. And if you're as intelligent as you claim to be, you will find a way to push yourself into the top half of your class if you're determined to do so.