Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Quit law school and re-apply?  (Read 2522 times)

quitlawschool?

• View Profile
Quit law school and re-apply?
« on: November 25, 2008, 01:22:49 AM »
So I don't like my law school.  Assuming I can find a job, is it worth dropping out and re-applying for next year?  I've been told by my school that the date of matriculation can be backdated to a point where it looks like I never enrolled.  And it might be possible to defer. 

My stats aren't high though: with a 159 LSAT, it seems risky to give up enrollment at a mid-30s school where I'm paying in-state tuition, knowing how bad the job market is right now.  Any advice?

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Quit law school and re-apply?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2008, 03:43:03 AM »
School? Unless you're at Cooley or FL Coastal or something, I doubt that with a 159 you're at anywhere that bad. You probably just don't like law school and should move on.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 05:17:25 AM »
We need more information about your specific dislikes to analyze whether it's a question of not liking LS or not liking YOUR LS.  If it's the latter, you should work your a** off to do well on your finals.... then get to work on your transfer apps. 
I am officially a law school graduate : )

Dwigt

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 10:18:31 AM »
I agree with the previous posters.  I'd also add that if you really have an interest in being a lawyer after you graduate, that you stick it out for this year and try to transfer.  In the past, economic downturns have led to increased application levels, and if that happens again this year the admissions process could be much more competitive than last year.  You don't want to give up a spot at a top 30 school only to find out that there aren't any better options out there. 

On the other hand, if you don't do well on finals this semester, you probably won't be able to transfer anywhere so you'll be stuck. 

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 01:01:56 PM »

On the other hand, if you don't do well on finals this semester, you probably won't be able to transfer anywhere so you'll be stuck. 

Well, if it's just an issue of not liking the atmosphere/location/profs etc, the OP can try to transfer laterally even if s/he is at the median.  This is particularly good if his main issue relates in some way to location.
I am officially a law school graduate : )

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 01:18:01 PM »
My stats aren't high though: with a 159 LSAT, it seems risky to give up enrollment at a mid-30s school where I'm paying in-state tuition, knowing how bad the job market is right now.  Any advice?

You would be an idiot to quit now.

quitlawschool?

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2008, 12:16:31 AM »
Thanks guys.  I actually went to this school with the intent to transfer.  I know, it's stupid, as I'm learning that the grades are such a crapshoot.  But I did it because I was pretty sure I could.  And I know I have the intelligence to be at a T15-T25 school, which is where I wanted to be before I started law school.  I'm now at a Midwestern State school.  It's just not a good fit in terms of location (I've been living in this state for a few years now, and have not had good experiences) and activities.  If I finish my first year, do mediocre on the exams, logically it would make sense to stay for the last two years because the first year is the hardest.  I'm not willing to do that. So it's either transfer (which isn't a guarantee), or drop out now. 

The whole semester I've been obsessing about these two options to the extent that I haven't been focusing on my coursework t the extent that I need to.  Yeah, I know, not smart but that's just how miserable it's been.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2008, 03:26:05 AM »
Thanks guys.  I actually went to this school with the intent to transfer.  I know, it's stupid, as I'm learning that the grades are such a crapshoot.  But I did it because I was pretty sure I could.  And I know I have the intelligence to be at a T15-T25 school, which is where I wanted to be before I started law school.  I'm now at a Midwestern State school.  It's just not a good fit in terms of location (I've been living in this state for a few years now, and have not had good experiences) and activities.  If I finish my first year, do mediocre on the exams, logically it would make sense to stay for the last two years because the first year is the hardest.  I'm not willing to do that. So it's either transfer (which isn't a guarantee), or drop out now. 

The whole semester I've been obsessing about these two options to the extent that I haven't been focusing on my coursework t the extent that I need to.  Yeah, I know, not smart but that's just how miserable it's been.

Law school seems to have little to do with actual intelligence once you get past a certain point.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 08:37:23 AM »

The whole semester I've been obsessing about these two options to the extent that I haven't been focusing on my coursework t the extent that I need to.  Yeah, I know, not smart but that's just how miserable it's been

It sounds to me your overly concerned about the pedigree of the law school you go to rather than being a lawyer. If being a lawyer and studying the law is not number one on your priority list then I tend to think you would just find another set of reasons at your new school to not put the effort behind it. If you donít want to be a lawyer regardless of where you go to school then donít put yourself through this hell. Go do something you will enjoy.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Dr. Balsenschaft

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2008, 10:34:12 AM »
Drop out.  The less attorneys the better (for me).