Law School Discussion

Should I mention dual degree program in a personal statement?

hmlee

Should I mention dual degree program in a personal statement?
« on: November 24, 2008, 07:36:06 PM »
Hello all. I'm band spankin' new here (yey!), so I apologize if this topic has already been addressed... though since the search function is so inadequate it would be hard to tell if it has been. :)

Anyway, I graduated from school this past June and am in the midst of my year off. I'm applying to law schools right now and am in the process of writing a personal statement (yey). I know that I have a strong desire to pursue a dual degree... either a J.D. / Ph.D. in political science / something similar, or a J.D. / M.A. in the same areas. However, as I am not completely certain of this and also did not feel up to taking the LSAT and the GRE at the same time, I'm limited my applications to law schools at the moment, with the intention of possibly applying to dual degree programs during my first year of law school, which I've heard is actually a common course of action.

My question is, should I include this little nugget of information in a personal statement? Does it add or detract to my desirability as a candidate for admission? I know the PS isn't really that huge of a component of admission... but I don't want to unintentionally f it up by including something I shouldn't...

Any thoughts?

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Should I mention dual degree program in a personal statement?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 08:38:30 PM »
If you think it helps your PS, bring it up. If not, bury it. I've seen both done equally well.

hmlee

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2008, 12:05:57 PM »
I do think it would add to the overall topic of my PS, though I have one concern. Namely, I am concerned that the admissions people would wonder why I'm not applying to the dual degree program off the bat, but rather waiting until my first year in law school to apply to the other half. I don't know how to talk about wanting to do the program without making them wonder about this....

Ninja1

• ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 09:30:43 PM »
I do think it would add to the overall topic of my PS, though I have one concern. Namely, I am concerned that the admissions people would wonder why I'm not applying to the dual degree program off the bat, but rather waiting until my first year in law school to apply to the other half. I don't know how to talk about wanting to do the program without making them wonder about this....

Very few people actually pursue dual degrees, don't sweat it.