Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Southwestern School of Law  (Read 1359 times)

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
Southwestern School of Law
« on: November 24, 2008, 12:24:05 PM »
I am a bit confused and perhaps some of you can shed some light for me.  Most people I talk to here in Los Angeles regard Southwestern as a very good option for Law. Most public sector jobs go to Loyola and Southwestern grads.  (What I have been told) When I tell them it's a tier 4, they are very surprised.  Have they recently fallen in rankings or have they always been a tier 4?  Any information on the school would be appreciated. Please don't just bash for bashings sake. Try to have a somewhat informed opinion.  Thank you.
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Southwestern School of Law
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 12:31:21 PM »
It's always been ranked fairly low.

Southwestern is known for having a really good trial advocacy program.  They have a lot of people working for the District Attorney's office, so if that's something you're interested in, Southwestern may be a good option in the LA area. 
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 12:58:50 PM »
It's always been ranked fairly low.

Southwestern is known for having a really good trial advocacy program.  They have a lot of people working for the District Attorney's office, so if that's something you're interested in, Southwestern may be a good option in the LA area. 

Thanks for the info.  I am very interested in the public sector so hopefully they like me.  They REALLY LIKE ME!!!!  (God Bless Sally Fields)
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

kenpostudent

• Sr. Citizen
    • MSN Messenger - kenpostudent@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 03:55:47 PM »
I know that their program focuses more on the practical aspects of law. They eliminate some electives to focus on legal writing and trial advocacy. It is not a bad school, but it is also near the bottom of a great many good law schools in SoCal. You visit the school, chat with the faculty, and do some research to find some prominent alumni before committing to the school. Their bar passage rate is much lower than many other CA schools. They also offer a large portion of the incoming class scholarships. Those two facts are usually red flags of a subpar school. This may not be the case, though. I would proceed with caution.