Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Technical College (Transcript Question)  (Read 959 times)

ApplicantInWI

• View Profile
Technical College (Transcript Question)
« on: November 21, 2008, 05:21:25 PM »
Hey,

I took a Math Class (actually 2) at a Technical College while I was in High School to satisfy my Math requirements.
I went to that same Technical College after High School and graduated with my A.A.S. and then went on to a 4-year University.

I picked my transcript up from them yesterday afternoon and I asked for the "Everything" transcript. They included all things, including the 2 Math courses (as well as a Traffic Safety class). On the back of the transcript there is a key. The key states that the credit type depends on the fourth digit in the course number. The fourth digit in the case of both my Math courses identifies them as Adult High School.

1. Will LSAC take consider these credits as part of their calculation?
2. If they are counting then, if I have my technical college mail them an statement that says that those were High School level courses will that make a difference?

I am right on the bubble for a LSDAS GPA of 3.01. If these courses count, I am back down to a 2.99. I really think the 3.01 looks a lot better to schools.

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Technical College (Transcript Question)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 06:55:21 PM »
Unfortunately LSAC counts everything taken before you recieve your first Bachelor's degree, including courses taken for credit prior to graduating high school.

I took a Chemistry course at the local community college while I was in high school in a PSEO type program.  They counted this course.  Thankfully I got an A...it help offset some of my freshman year grades...

ApplicantInWI

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 07:36:40 PM »
Unfortunately LSAC counts everything taken before you recieve your first Bachelor's degree, including courses taken for credit prior to graduating high school.

I took a Chemistry course at the local community college while I was in high school in a PSEO type program.  They counted this course.  Thankfully I got an A...it help offset some of my freshman year grades...

According to the LSDAS website, if a course is remedial, the credit/grade will not count so long as the transcript states that it is remedial. We'll see what they do. I intend to lobby my Technical College to tell them that that wasn't for college credit and that it was remedial math, because it was!

Legally Brown "Sugah"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 10:38:40 PM »
Was it really remedial though?  Most people take courses outside of the high school curriculum because they require a greater level of instruction than the high school curriculum offers (my case) or something similar.

If you were fulfilling requirements, it doesn't sound like a remedial course but I'm not looking at your transcript either so I wouldn't know.  Hopefully it works in your favor, but if the school doesnt consider it remedial (hence your reason for lobbying) they won't note it as such and LSAC will count it.