Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.9/154  (Read 3669 times)

Ketlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
3.9/154
« on: November 21, 2008, 01:52:16 PM »
I have a 3.9 GPA from a large public University, 154 LSAT. I have been out of school for two years working with at-risk children in the community. Have worked in the behavioral health sector and also with high-risk children on probation and parole. I would like to work in the public sector upon graduation from law school and work in child advocacy. I have taken the LSAT twice and cancelled my first score. My practice average was about 160 with a 165 as my highest practice test. I just choke on test day so I really dont know if I should give the LSAT one last crack. What do you guys think my chances of getting into these schools and do you have any other suggestions for schools that may accept me with my numbers? Thank you!

So far...
Arizona State
Arizona
Denver

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 3.9/154
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 09:40:32 PM »
I'd say:

Arizona: No
Arizona State: Probably not
Denver: Should be good, but expect to be waitlisted for a little bit.

On other schools, is there any part of the country you particularly like or any part you really want to avoid?
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 12:06:33 PM »
Retake the LSAT. If you don't want to because you can't stand taking the test again, then don't do to law school. Other than the MPRE, the LSAT will be the easiest "test" while you are in law school. If you think the LSAT is bad, remember the Bar exam is far, far worse. It's like taking 6 LSATs back to back to back in 2-3 days, but you actually have to have the stuff memorized. And they still test you on the minor concepts, not just the broad concepts.

That being said, your chances are low but not impossible. I got into SMU fulltime with a 150 LSAT and 3.7 GPA. So anything is possible, but your chances would greatly exceed if you retook the LSAT (especially since most schools now take the higher LSAT and not the average).

Ketlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2008, 12:28:34 AM »
Thanks for the replies :) I have lived in Arizona my whole life and wouldn't mind staying here. Also interested in Colorado, California, Oregon, Washington State, Florida.

Im leaning towards taking the lsat again in Feb

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2008, 03:40:14 AM »
Thanks for the replies :) I have lived in Arizona my whole life and wouldn't mind staying here. Also interested in Colorado, California, Oregon, Washington State, Florida.

Im leaning towards taking the lsat again in Feb

Consider Miami with your current numbers. 2-4 more points and FSU and UF start to become realistic.

princepointe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2008, 03:17:49 AM »
3.9/154. How did that happen? I would retake the LSAT. I had a friend that had a 152 and retook it and got a 164. He go's to University of Houston now.

AlisaGreenstein

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »
I would suggest retaking the LSAT exam.  If you have a 3.9 GPA, you clearly have the capacity to score higher on the exam and get into a better school.  I have been teaching the LSAT review course for years and would be happy to help you with some helpful tips.  Please feel free to contact me.

Alisa Greenstein | Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant | www.VeritasPrep.com

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2008, 12:38:46 PM »
Oh, and I think Seattle and (especially) Gonzaga are pretty doable with those numbers.

A girl I know that went to Gonzaga for UG really liked it.

Ketlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2008, 02:25:12 PM »
Thanks. I was actually already considering applying to Seattle and Gonzaga but I have never even visited that part of the country. I have a coouple friends that moved up there from Arizona and love it. Wonder if I would like it there. Maybe I will take a roadtrip soon :)  Thanks again Ninja, you have been a lot of help.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2008, 07:08:08 PM »
Thanks. I was actually already considering applying to Seattle and Gonzaga but I have never even visited that part of the country. I have a coouple friends that moved up there from Arizona and love it. Wonder if I would like it there. Maybe I will take a roadtrip soon :)  Thanks again Ninja, you have been a lot of help.

No problem, happy to help. You should apply to the big 3 in Florida too. I've meet people with worse numbers (not saying yours are bad, just they had lesser) that made it into FSU. It's far from a guarantee, but it's worth a shot.

And I have yet to meet anyone that didn't like the Pacific NW.