Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 3.9/154  (Read 1074 times)

Ketlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
3.9/154
« on: November 20, 2008, 09:20:32 PM »
Any suggestions of where I should apply with my numbers? 3.9/154 Arizona resident.

So far...
Arizona State
Arizona
University of Denver

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: 3.9/154
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 12:53:33 PM »
have you thought at all about the possibility of retaking the lsat?
* Columbia Law, Class of 2011 *

LSN

Ketlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 01:12:56 PM »
I have taken the LSAT twice. Cancelled my first score. My practice average was about a 160 with a high of 165. I just seem to choke on test day. Im still considering taking the Feb test, but I dont know.

logickills

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 04:19:36 PM »
is cost an issue?  if not, apply everywhere.  throw that spaghetti against the wall.  see what sticks.
accepted: duke, georgetown, fordham $$, umich $$, nyu!, uchicago, uva, gw
pending: berkeley (rejected), yale (rejected), stanford, harvard, columbia (WL), upenn (WL)
lsn: logickills

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 05:35:43 PM »
I have taken the LSAT twice. Cancelled my first score. My practice average was about a 160 with a high of 165. I just seem to choke on test day. Im still considering taking the Feb test, but I dont know.

I had the same issue - one choke, one cancel, one 173.  I took a class in between the choke and the cancel, and it really, really helped.  With your GPA, those LSAT points will make a HUGE difference, and it might be worth it to take a year off, take a prep class, and give it another go.

On the other hand, if you're happy with the schools in your grasp, then that's another story.  However, a higher LSAT could get you a significant scholarship at those same places.

The choice is obviously yours and depends on whether you can stomach taking a year off.  It was a GREAT thing for me, and the salary I earned while working has been absolutely vital in supplementing my loan money this semester.  In other words, it's not the worst outcome in the world if you take some time off.

LSN

Ketlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2008, 12:40:35 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Im really leaning towards taking the lsat again. Its very encouraging to hear you had a cancel, choke, and a 173! If you don't mind telling, what was your "choke" score? 

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 11:45:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Im really leaning towards taking the lsat again. Its very encouraging to hear you had a cancel, choke, and a 173! If you don't mind telling, what was your "choke" score? 

It was a 166...but please keep in mind that this was a "choke" score RELATIVE TO ME.  I recognize that what was a very bad score FOR ME is objectively a very, very good score.  But I knew I could test in the 170s, and I knew it would make a huge difference.

That's kind of an illustration of how personal this process is...a few years back when I first applied to law schools with my 166, absolutely everybody on these boards was encouraging me to just go to one of the schools I got into that time around, but I knew it just wasn't the right choice for me.   You've gotta figure out what will be the best choice for you, given what you want out of life!

LSN

logickills

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2008, 12:24:19 AM »

It was a 166...but please keep in mind that this was a "choke" score RELATIVE TO ME.  I recognize that what was a very bad score FOR ME is objectively a very, very good score.  But I knew I could test in the 170s, and I knew it would make a huge difference.

That's kind of an illustration of how personal this process is...a few years back when I first applied to law schools with my 166, absolutely everybody on these boards was encouraging me to just go to one of the schools I got into that time around, but I knew it just wasn't the right choice for me.   You've gotta figure out what will be the best choice for you, given what you want out of life!

amen.
accepted: duke, georgetown, fordham $$, umich $$, nyu!, uchicago, uva, gw
pending: berkeley (rejected), yale (rejected), stanford, harvard, columbia (WL), upenn (WL)
lsn: logickills

Ketlaw

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2008, 12:32:28 PM »
Thanks. A 154 was a choke for me as I was expecting at least a 160. My goals are slightly different than most on this board as I would be more than happy to stay in Arizona and go to Arizona State or the U of A. However, I don't have a very good chance at either school which really make me want to take the lsat one last time. Would it hurt to apply to these schools with my current scores, retake in Feb, and if I do significantly better wait until next year? What do you think? Your help is greatly appreciated.

Slumdog Lovebutton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 09:41:15 PM »
Thanks. A 154 was a choke for me as I was expecting at least a 160. My goals are slightly different than most on this board as I would be more than happy to stay in Arizona and go to Arizona State or the U of A. However, I don't have a very good chance at either school which really make me want to take the lsat one last time. Would it hurt to apply to these schools with my current scores, retake in Feb, and if I do significantly better wait until next year? What do you think? Your help is greatly appreciated.

I don't know if it would HURT, but I don't know if it would help, either.  If you did much better, do you think you'd be able to squeeze money out of the schools if they already accepted you?  You probably would not be able to get them to reconsider your application if they rejected you before february schools came back.  Then again, it could work out.  It's just a matter of whether you want to expend the resources this year, or if you think you could give yourself a better chance by taking more time off, maybe taking an LSAT course, and starting fresh next cycle.

LSN