Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT on resume  (Read 23003 times)

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT on resume
« Reply #120 on: December 27, 2008, 10:04:07 PM »
I put both my GPA and my summa designation next to it.  I also told them I graduated early.  Inter alia, the distinctions made me seem like a very hard worker, and I think they liked that.

Yeah, that makes sense when you have an amazing GPA.  I just barely cracked summa in one of my degrees, and I was magna in the other, so I just put those and left off the number.

The converse is that I'll probably leave it off if things don't go as well with this degree.  Otherwise, it might say that the degree was easy, or that I became complacent here at Chi, or a number of other things that remind you of information failures and Elements.

I think you did the right thing.  If you look at firm websites, they love putting "magna" and "summa" and stuff, and so that communicates all they need to know.

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2008, 02:33:04 PM »
I have the equivalent of cum laude ("with distinction") and a 3.73 GPA, which seems to meet the threshold for inclusion. On the other hand, I have a full scholarship, so they might assume I have better - should I put either GPA or honors on?

Connelly

• View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 29, 2008, 04:59:17 PM »
If you don't go to a school that usually attracts people with 179s, your LSAT score will put a red flag on your resume: why isn't this guy at Yale?  

I stopped reading the thread after this post, but I would agree with this concern. I have experienced similar problems in other arenas where the person making the decision does the math and realizes you probably didn't break a 3.0 in undergrad.  Just as they are free to infer that you are especially bright, they can also then infer that you are especially lazy, and there is no forum for you to explain that away until the interview stage (although an "Assumed GPA Discrepancy" addendum on a resume would be entertaining). 

Also consider who one would be separating themselves from with the inclusion of an LSAT score.  Take someone with a 179.  Who are they separating themselves from with that piece of information?  Those that scored 170-178?  Lawyers (people who have taken an LSAT) understand that the difference in the 170's is minimal and may be more tied to what one ate for breakfast that morning or 3 extra weeks of practice than actual intellectual ability.  Is it separating the person who scored a 179 from those that scored in the 160's or below?  If so, that has likely been demonstrated by school selection, or should be obviously demonstrated by one's performance in other arenas if the 179er is actually significantly beyond the lower scorers in the capacity to be an effective lawyer. 

This is a lot easier to see if one has been working before law school - especially if one has worked for a law firm before.  While it is not the end of the world to include this score, the risk will outweigh the possible reward in most situations. 

firewalker

• Sr. Citizen
  • New York University
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2009, 02:51:25 PM »
Quote from: IrrX on Yesterday at 05:24:13 PM
Quote from: K? on Yesterday at 05:01:52 PM
*gets his popcorn ready*

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o14/NYUUG/MJPopcorn.gif

why you jackin my sh1t, brah?