Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT on resume  (Read 21420 times)

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT on resume
« Reply #50 on: December 21, 2008, 10:17:22 PM »
Most law students don't list their undergraduate GPA on their resumes unless they have high honors.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

Miss P

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 21, 2008, 10:35:30 PM »
the question is if they are so inclined.  that's the piece of information they're trying to glean. 

Our high-scoring friend is having a real problem wrapping his head around this one.
That's cool how you referenced a case.

Quote from: archival
I'm so far from the end of my tether right now that I reckon I could knit myself some socks with the slack.

jmcarothers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: December 22, 2008, 04:15:43 PM »
I've heard the same thing about the UG GPA - that you should list it if it looks high, even if it didn't get you latin honors at your school.

On the GPA vs. LSAT thing: I figure if a recruiter thinks "but for some youthful indiscretions, this guy would be at Harvard," that's a bit better than "ah, yet another generic candidate from mediocre School X." Some might respond in the absurd way dasharashi did, but I'm not sure I'd want to work at that kind of shop anyway.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 22, 2008, 04:17:08 PM »
I've heard the same thing about the UG GPA - that you should list it if it looks high, even if it didn't get you latin honors at your school.

On the GPA vs. LSAT thing: I figure if a recruiter thinks "but for some youthful indiscretions, this guy would be at Harvard," that's a bit better than "ah, yet another generic candidate from mediocre School X." Some might respond in the absurd way dasharashi did, but I'm not sure I'd want to work at that kind of shop anyway.

And most of the other people in this thread who've applied for legal jobs....
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

jmcarothers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2008, 04:21:02 PM »
I'm hoping the groupthink among recruiters is different. ;)

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 22, 2008, 04:22:10 PM »
I'm hoping the groupthink among recruiters is different. ;)

Well good luck with that.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

jmcarothers

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: December 22, 2008, 04:47:12 PM »
yeah, the student who would have been at harvard but for some youthful indiscretions IS the generic candidate from mediocre school x.

That's not true. 90% of students (75% at the very least) at my school didn't do well enough on the LSAT to get into Harvard.

Going through the 1L job hunt at a school like Harvard or Columbia doesn't make you a recruiter mind reader. It gives you little information, I'd think, about what HR types think when they see resumes from lower ranked schools. It wouldn't be unreasonable for them to think, "oh, he's probably one of the brighter ones, maybe we should call him in to see what he has to say."

If it's easy to do, then why the heck didn't you bother?

I made straight As in my last four semesters, after I decided I was going to grad school. It took very little effort.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 22, 2008, 04:52:35 PM »
Are you in desperate need for attention?  You've had basically 8 pages of people telling you the idea is crap.  Give it up.  You're not going to change the world (or at least how recruiters and hiring partners view resumes).  You're not going to be a special and unique snowflake who will be lauded for being brave.  Please, for the love of Popazao, give it up.
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 22, 2008, 04:58:57 PM »
I like this thread.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #59 on: December 22, 2008, 05:05:41 PM »
JMcarothers: (which appears to be his real initials/name, y'all) competing strongly for title of LSD toolbox of December. YLS2012 isn't going down without a fight, though.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.