Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT on resume  (Read 22088 times)

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT on resume
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2008, 03:27:03 PM »
GPA: 3.44 (3.8 in final 2 years)

I guess if they really care they'll request a transcript.

Yeah, I wouldn't do that. Career services might have a more official answer for you, but legal employers are not going to care about your undergrad grade trend.

ETA: And I have never heard of a legal employer requesting an undergrad transcript before, but maybe someone else has. I've seen a very few government applications ask for your undergrad GPA, but no one cares about your actual grades. 
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

JeNeSaisLaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2008, 03:33:48 PM »
Oh, interesting. I wonder why I have it in my head that I should find a PDF of my transcript. I'll definitely talk to career services soon.
LSN
Vanderbilt Class of 2011

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2008, 03:45:21 PM »
I got requests for undergrad transcript for the offers I received before I had any law school grades. 

Well there you go. I guess this does happen sometimes. During the beginning of the 1L job search, before you have law school grades, is the only time that it's likely to matter to anyone at all.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2008, 03:46:09 PM »
I got requests for undergrad transcript for the offers I received before I had any law school grades. 

Well there you go. I guess this does happen sometimes. During the beginning of the 1L job search, before you have law school grades, is the only time that it's likely to matter to anyone at all.

I actually had two 2L OCI employers request my undergrad transcript as well. I don't remember who they were, though.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2008, 03:47:25 PM »

I actually had two 2L OCI employers request my undergrad transcript as well. I don't remember who it was, though.

Well, I stand doubly corrected. I hadn't heard of anyone asking for an undergrad transcript before, but now I have.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2008, 03:51:09 PM »
It's not terribly common!

CST

• View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2008, 04:55:06 PM »

2) I think the best reason for the overall policy of not using it is not so much how you come off to law firms (I would hope attorneys at law firms are not so thin-skinned that they bristle at the sight of a test score) but that as a profession we want to keep the shelf life of an LSAT score as short as possible.  If LSAT scores were fair game for resumes, everyone would either have to put it on there or have potential employers wonder why it's not there.  It's in the best interest of everyone not to have it on there. 

You have this all wrong. You are entirely missing the point of a resume. You don't exclude an LSAT because you fear the attorneys are thin-skinned. (Do you think we are intimidated by your score?) You exclude it because it says nothing meaningful about what you will contribute to our office. Further, including it if you weren't asked for it, demonstrates that you don't understand what we are looking for. It also suggests to many attorneys that you are immature or egotistical.

The entire purpose of a resume is to market yourself to a potential employer. Many, many people starting out in their careers see it instead as either a dumping ground for everything they have ever done, or some sort of "brag sheet." Yes, you want to portray yourself in a the most favorable light possible, but to do that you need to look at it from the perspective of the employer. There are some times where you may feel the need to include something to "be true to yourself" because you wouldn't want to work for an organization if you felt the need to "hide" part of who you are (people who are heavily involved in certain causes and they run through their work experience, for example." But I hope that your LSAT score is not "who you are." If it is and that is the reason you are including it on your resume, well, you'll wind up where you belong -- but you'll also cut yourself out of the running of a lot of jobs in the process.

Employers have already dictated that the shelf life of the LSAT is limited to the moment you choose your law school. They enforce that policy by dumping the resumes that try to squeeze more milage out of it into the trash.

People talked a little about this earlier in the thread, but what are your thoughts on putting undergrad GPA on your resume?  I assume latin honors should always be there, and I'd imagine a high GPA (3.5+) should probably be there too.  What about average gpas (3.0-3.5), or bad ones GPAs?

Latin honors should be on a resume. GPA is a bit trickier. If you have latin honors, then no. If you don't have latin honors, it will be a judgment call. Generally, the rule of thumb is that if you don't list your GPA it is below a 3.5. So if your GPA is 3.5 or above and you don't have latin honors, then you probably should list it. If it is below 3.5, then you probably don't want to bother, unless you are afraid that an employer would think that it is well below 3.5 and it is actually close to it. If you are well below, then don't list it. You may also choose not to list it on your resume if it is lower than what an employer would assume given where you are attending law school. (If an employer requests the information, though, of course provide it.)

As for what materials to send in, cover letter and resume are standard. Be sure, though, to check out the web sites of all the places you are applying to, as they will often list their requirements. If you are unable to send in one of the required components, don't just not send it. Address in the cover letter why you can't send it in and when you will be able to submit it or what you might be able to provide in the alternative. Make sure that the recruiting coordinator doesn't think you were just careless. Of course give complete contact information so that an employer can get in touch with you if the do want additional materials.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 27, 2008, 06:10:26 PM »
I agree with Cady.  During my lone callback, they seemed pretty impressed with my UG GPA.  They didn't ask for the transcript, but it definitely seemed like a huge point in my favor.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2008, 08:28:17 PM »
ive never been asked either, but 3.5 as mentioned above sounds reasonable.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2008, 09:45:53 PM »
I put both my GPA and my summa designation next to it.  I also told them I graduated early.  Inter alia, the distinctions made me seem like a very hard worker, and I think they liked that.