Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: LSAT on resume  (Read 23282 times)

rucoach

• View Profile
LSAT on resume
« on: November 20, 2008, 01:52:40 PM »
I know the overwhelming conventional wisdom on putting your LSAT score on your resume is HELL NO! but hear me out.  I have a 180 and given that we have no grades or anything to put on our Dec. 1 resumes, would putting this on my resume still be off-putting and a deal breaker or a decent way to differentiate myself until I have actual law school grades to use.
Penn Law Class of 2011

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: LSAT on resume
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 02:21:37 PM »
I have seen it done successfully on an EE resume near UGPA.

In fact, I think a subtle use could work on most 1L resumes.

rucoach

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »
What's an EE resume?
Penn Law Class of 2011

TheDudeMan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:29:01 PM »
Nobody cares about your LSAT score anymore LoL.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »
I know the overwhelming conventional wisdom on putting your LSAT score on your resume is HELL NO! but hear me out.  I have a 180 and given that we have no grades or anything to put on our Dec. 1 resumes, would putting this on my resume still be off-putting and a deal breaker or a decent way to differentiate myself until I have actual law school grades to use.

Off-putting and deal breaker.  Do NOT do it.

Cosigned with even more force. I'm shuddering just thinking about it.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

rucoach

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 06:20:56 PM »
OK, I see the consensus here, but does everyone agree with it simply because that's the way it's usually done?  It doesn't make much sense to me that an LSAT score can be perhaps the ultimate arbiter in determining where you get to go to law school, but is completely irrelevant and uninformative to a potential legal employer.  Especially since at this stage we have no law school grades to show potential employers.  I just wonder what the origins of this particular social convention in the legal community are?
Penn Law Class of 2011

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 06:50:35 PM »
OK, I see the consensus here, but does everyone agree with it simply because that's the way it's usually done?  It doesn't make much sense to me that an LSAT score can be perhaps the ultimate arbiter in determining where you get to go to law school, but is completely irrelevant and uninformative to a potential legal employer.  Especially since at this stage we have no law school grades to show potential employers.  I just wonder what the origins of this particular social convention in the legal community are?

I know it's frustrating, because you are going to be judged primarily on where you go to school, and your LSAT score is arguably the most significant factor in determining the school you attend. Why not let employers know how well you did, right? I think the best answer is that every profession has certain conventions, and you just have to follow those rules, whether they make sense to you or not, or risk coming off as immature and unprofessional. In some fields it would be considered irrelevant and potentially even inappropriate to bring a transcript to an interview, and in some fields it's pretty much mandatory. Same kind of deal.

Don't worry. You're going to get a cool summer job coming from Penn, and soon enough you'll have some grades to show for yourself, and your LSAT score really will start to feel irrelevant.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 11:55:41 PM »

This is proof that LSAT doesn't mean everything.  You got one and still don't know the answers to easy questions. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 07:40:08 AM »

What do you mean, "the way it's usually done"?  If an LSAT score is going on the resume, it will like: LSAT: 1XX, with some minor variations.  The fact that you have a 180 there instead of a 145 makes no difference.  Employers don't care.  If I'm looking to hire someone in any capacity, I want to see where they go to school, what their grades were in undergrad, I want to read a writing sample, I want to see what their interests/personality are.  I don't give a flying rat's *ss what they scored on a 4 hour test they took on Saturday afternoon.  So there's your answer about where this particular social convention in the legal community originated.

Oh...and one more thing, FWIW, don't put anything in your cover letters that sounds as uptight as "the origins of this particular social convention in the legal community."  That, coupled with your 180 on a resume, would lead me to ding you out of concerns that you see yourself as intellectually superior and full of yourself.  People want to work with people they like.  Write and speak intelligently, but don't make yourself unapproachable and douchy.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 08:50:10 AM »

Ummm...I'm pretty sure they went over this at our Career Planning workshop.  So much for collegiality  :-\

Okay, yes. This is the problem. I'm getting nasty hints of superiority/inferiority complex thing. Like what he really wants to say is "I could have gone somewhere better than Penn." Which is objectively awful and screwed up. Goalie was very gentle.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.