Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Sweet jesus don't highlight  (Read 5650 times)

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
Sweet jesus don't highlight
« on: November 20, 2008, 12:00:05 PM »
Highlighting is the biggest waste of time ever.  It doesn't help you process information.  You have no idea, until you've actually read the case and figured everything out, what is important enough to highlight.  So the effect is that students, to be comprehensive, highlight everything in different colors or even one color.  Congratulations, you've decorated your casebook!

But to actually internalize and learn content, you should be engaging with the text - read it, think about it, and put observations and a summary of the point in the sideline or in a word document.  While briefing is cumbersome, it was great practice for my first month for extracting the most out of a case in the least amount of time.  After that, thinking critically and engaging with the text is the key to internalizing what you need to know.

non parata est

• Sr. Citizen
  • buh??
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet jesus don't highlight
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 01:37:20 PM »
I've always highlighted, not to point out important information, but because it makes me read slower and comprehend better.
Quote from: Lionel Hutz, Esq.
Well he's had it in for me ever since I kinda ran over his dog... Well, replace the word "kinda" with "repeatedly" and the word "dog" with "son."

logickills

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 03:48:27 PM »
don't be an idiot.

highlight if you want to.

if they don't highlight, well, they're no friends of mine
accepted: duke, georgetown, fordham $$, umich $$, nyu!, uchicago, uva, gw
pending: berkeley (rejected), yale (rejected), stanford, harvard, columbia (WL), upenn (WL)
lsn: logickills

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 09:06:52 PM »
Wow, this is dumb. That's great that you feel like highlighting is a waste of time for you.

I don't necessarily highlight for "comprehension." I highlight so that I can respond in class - if my prof calls on me, I can easily find some relevant info (holding, rules, etc.). It works for me in class.
Tulane c/o 2011

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 09:20:17 PM »
i highlight individual letters to form the hidden law found in each case, much like a ransom note made from cut up magazines.

for example, learned hand wrote in United States v. Kennerley, "go @#!* yourself" but you would not know this by merely reading the case.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 10:34:12 PM »
I don't take the casebook seriously and spend most of energy trying to find old outlines, listening in class, and using hornbooks.  So . . . buttons.

Ender Wiggin

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 11:52:28 PM »
If you can't highlight relevant information the first time through, you have a problem.  I know what my professor is going to be asking about the next day, and I know it will be easier to find it if I highlight and write in the margins. 

LSN

Michigan Law Class of 2011

sinkfloridasink

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 08:10:12 PM »
I don't take the casebook seriously and spend most of energy trying to find old outlines, listening in class, and using hornbooks.  So . . . buttons.

Do you want a cookie? I'm sure I can find one around here somewhere...
Tulane c/o 2011

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 08:43:54 PM »
My trick is to highlight only the legal rules and principles and absolutely nothing else.  I'll usually pen off to the side a synopsis of an argument as well.
_______
.|E|R|S.

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 12:33:12 PM »
I've seen a lot of casebooks (when I buy used) that festooned with color like a disney light parade.  I'm trying to dig up links to studies that show highlighting isn't a particularly useful studying technique, compared to ones that synthesize information.  The responses on this thread suggest people will always be self-conscious about their study techniques.