Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: so will fall OCI in 2009 be worse than this year?  (Read 8596 times)

krystal82

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
so will fall OCI in 2009 be worse than this year?
« on: November 19, 2008, 08:26:12 PM »
Thoughts? Links? Just a speculation thread.

wkjr

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: so will fall OCI in 2009 be worse than this year?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 08:36:37 PM »
i don't know, but i thought i would put in a request from the class of '12: can y'all who are doing oci in fall 2009 take one for the team so that they underhire and then have to make up for it in fall 2010 oci?

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 10:44:00 AM »
It's all going to be about the economy.

If it is looking like great depression redux things will be very grim indeed. If we are on the road to recovery it should go well.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 11:26:09 AM »
I don't see why they would hire first-years when they have their pick of laid-off associates with actual experience.  Even at the top schools, I imagine that this will be an absolutely atrocious year.  I'm already making plans to try to find government work.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 02:10:18 PM »
I don't see why they would hire first-years when they have their pick of laid-off associates with actual experience. 

experience doing what?  layoffs have been concentrated in practice areas that probably will not recover for a while.  why pay more for a lateral with zero litigation (for example) experience when you can hire someone out of law school with zero litigation experience instead?

that having been said, a few months back i would have said the class of 2010 was going to take the hit and the class of 2011 would reap the benefits.  at that point however, i had seriously underestimated the depth and breadth of the current economic situation.

i predict worst OCI ever.

You're not doing the J. Fern thing, are you?  Because that would be "2011 OCI be hardest ever."

I'm almost 100% certain that I want to do litigation at this point.  I have zero financial experience of any sort, and I hate words like "private equity."  I was also an English major, and CivPro/LRW are my favorite classes.  Does that put me in a nice place in comparison to M&A types?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 03:22:47 PM »
Eh.  I've heard the exact opposite.  Everyone has their Fave 5.  Hopefully, he'll still hire Chicago kids.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 05:05:21 PM »
No, the opposite about Chicago (and NYU, too).  Everyone has their pet schools.  No problem.  I'm sure you could also find a BigLaw partner who says that UVa is the best school ever.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »
come on guys, let's settle down and keep this friendly.

good point.  it is not nice to mock the connectionless.

Yes, because it's very impressive and worth bragging about to be connected through family friends.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2008, 07:00:30 PM »

Yes, because it's very impressive and worth bragging about to be connected through family friends.

It isn't impressive.  It should just be a baseline value.  Obviously someone like you would have difficulty understanding this.

You "obviously" don't know the first thing about me. But thanks for proving what a class act you are, as always.

And FWIW, Wally is clearly right. Some hiring partners have their pet preferences, but that's not particularly meaningful overall. Doesn't make your anecdote any less valid, but it's not a very significant way to evaluate which schools are going to do well in OCI.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 07:07:04 PM »

It isn't impressive.  It should just be a baseline value.  Obviously someone like you would have difficulty understanding this.

You "obviously" don't know the first thing about me. But thanks for proving what a class act you are, as always.

And FWIW, Wally is clearly right. Some hiring partners have their pet preferences, but that's not particularly meaningful overall. Doesn't make your anecdote any less valid, but it's not a very significant way to evaluate which schools are going to do well in OCI.

This thread is appropriate because I just wrapped up lunch with a family friend who happens to be on the hiring committee of v100 firm (not the greatest firm, but it is pretty big).  He told me I was wise to not to go to law school this year and that the safe schools would be "Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Columbia, and Penn.  NYU and Chicago are for odd kids who tend to do poorly once they get here."  It probably doesn't mean very much, but was interesting to hear.

Read the bolded.  I acknowledged it meant nothing.  Plus, I acknowledged that it wasn't at a particularly elite firm.

You've never struck me as particularly bright.  Thanks for proving the point.

ETA: You strike me as the kind of girl who went to some douchey east coast lac.  Vassar?  Sarah Lawrenc?, Wesleyan? Wellesley?

::shudder::

I said that Wally was clearly right that some people have their pet schools.  You then shot him down by telling him he's only read this on the internet and that because your information came from a connection it was more valid. I was pointing out that his take-away point was the better one.

And, again, attacking me for my intelligence and your belief about my socio-economic status is a great way to keep it classy. Oh, and my undergrad! Also totally germane.