Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Undergrad  (Read 2009 times)

Regolo

• View Profile
Undergrad
« on: November 19, 2008, 01:59:41 PM »
So this is my first post in the forum, and I'm looking for some input on undergrad programs. I am looking to go to law school in the US after I have completed my undergraduate degree, but would prefer to do this degree in Canada. Since I'm in Quebec, I'll be getting my Cegep diploma in May 2009, and I'm not certain what to do for university. Since I'm in Quebec I can get into the uOttawa Civil Law program for 3 years, but I'm not sure this would be a "useful" bach when it comes to applying to Us law school. I have been told that a Civil Law bach might even reflect badly on US school apps for reasons I wasn't told. I've also considered applying to UofT into either Philo or PoliSci, or into those two same programs at McGill, UBC, and maybe a few others. I keep getting told by counselors and such that a Philo bach would be useless, and if I plan on taking a year off I'll have trouble finding a job with it, but this would be the my program of choice if I decide not to do Civil Law. PoliSci seems to be what everyone throws at me when I say I want to end up in law school, but I don't want to be cookie cutter, although I do think the program itself would be interesting. Now maybe I'm just paranoid and have had people saying too many things to me, but are my concerns even valid? If they are remotely valid, and even if they're not, would anyone be able to suggest one path over another?

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Undergrad
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2008, 11:51:47 PM »
This is entirely the wrong forum for a question concerning undergrad programs.

But since most of us are finished or completing our undergraduate degrees at this point, a few people might be able to offer advice.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter what undergrad degree you decide to do. Just get the best grades you can and do well on the LSAT. Doing a civil law B.A. won't hurt your admission chances anywhere - schools simply look for people who were competant and motivated in their undergrad programs.