Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Thinking of NESL (IP law) need your opinion  (Read 10859 times)

atomic40

• 4L evening student
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of NESL (IP law) need your opinion
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2008, 01:04:07 PM »
I also disagree with the sentiment on this thread.  Suffolk gets a better rep than NESL due to its shiny new (10 yr old) building.  NESL will still challenge you as much as any of the other schools in Boston - perhaps more - since they don't really have a curve.  Boston is tough to compete in when you have Harvard, BC and BU (and to some extent NU) as options.  For night school you only have two options - Suffolk and NESL - and the education you receive at them will be comparable.  The same texts are used at all the schools and we all take the same test in the end (the bar).  Just work hard wherever you go and you will be fine.  As someone who works in IP I can tell you that the trend is to hire JD's with a PhD as patent attorneys.  There are few at my firm who only have a bachelor's for their scientific backgrounds.  Who the hell wants to go to school for that long then slave away to meet the 2000 hour billing requirement - more power to ya.   

cranky75

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2009, 09:42:28 AM »
Thank you all, the discussion was very useful for me.  I will quite likely go to NESL.  The way I see it, depending on how the economy goes for us in Pharmaceutical industry, and if IP quite doesn't pan out for me, at least there other legal jobs I can hopefully pick up (public interest).  Plus I want to settle in the New England area. 

I am looking at JD as enrichment and potentially avenues to jobs outside of science (if the need arises).  Its four years and $$$, but I will be partially reimbursed through my work.  I have been thinking like a scientist for too long.  I don't see any harm in trying not to think like a scientist for once! 

cranky75

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2009, 06:52:59 PM »
Update - I have decided to attend Suffolk Law.  NESL has raised their tuition and is now pretty much on par with Suffolk.  Given Suffolk's alumni connections in the area, I have decided it makes sense for me to attend Suffolk.

MoMo13

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2010, 05:50:48 PM »
I thought I could put my two cents in on this topic even though the topic was posted some time ago. I went back and forth on going to Suffolk or New England. I ultimately chose New England Law and I received a great education. Although this may be a different time due to the economy, I received a quality job upon graduation. I met some great friends and teachers and I have never looked back . If you want a career in law and want to attend law school DO YOUR RESEARCH! Some schools are better suited for certain individuals than others. The site has a lot of good information http://www.nesl.edu even if you're looking for law school information in general. I hope this helps!

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2010, 09:30:20 PM »
Wow another tier 4 student speaking from actual experience MOMO saying they enjoyed their tier 4 and got a good job.  Crazy how people with actual experience somewhere tend to say different things than people speculating on things they know nothing about.

Cicero

• Sr. Citizen
  • UF 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2010, 10:51:52 PM »
Not to split hairs on this one, but the poster said that his/her experience might be different from how things are now because of the economy. However, I think the people may be over stating how bad the situation is for current graduates.  On the other hand, one recent graduate that I know, who is a hard worker with lots of experience, can't find a legal job, and it sounds like many other people at his school are having the same problem. Maybe it will be a little bit better when we graduate in 2 years.

Although this may be a different time due to the economy, I received a quality job upon graduation.

bigs5068

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2010, 04:04:56 PM »
Yea again GLOBAL RECESSION not just legal. I know computer programs that are having hard times, teachers, and down the line. Finding a job is not hard in only the legal field hence the term GLOBAL recession.