Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Would I be able to start practicing in my late 50s?  (Read 1928 times)

bobh

• View Profile
    • Email
Would I be able to start practicing in my late 50s?
« on: November 18, 2008, 07:57:16 PM »
I've thought about law school. But I'm 53. My wife is a lawyer but doesn't work full time and doesn't earn that much. Our kid is out of the house, gone to college.

I did something like this once before. At 35 I went back to school in computer science, at Stanford. I have worked in software for many years but am bored with it and tired of being discriminated against by tech companies that don't want anyone over 30.

I also thought about law school many, many years ago and got a 722 on the LSAT. I'm probably better at going to school than at being satisfied working for someone else.

My wife thinks no one would hire me at 57, when I finished school. True? If so, I'd have to practice on my own, and the prospect of that seems daunting. I don't have a sales-type personality, and obviously I wouldn't have experience. Is that even realistic? How would I get any business? Any better suggestions?

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Would I be able to start practicing in my late 50s?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 09:46:49 PM »
Out of curiosity, because people are going to ask, how did you get a 722 on the LSAT?

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 11:15:12 PM »
Out of curiosity, because people are going to ask, how did you get a 722 on the LSAT?

Probably by studying, and working through practice tests, and showing up for the test after a good nights rest and a moderate but not to heavy morning breakfast.

They changed the numbering scheme back in the early 90s. 

Matlock!!!!

• He, he, he.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 04:40:25 PM »
I'll go out on a limb and say he probably scored the 722 on his SAT's.
If there's one thing America needs, it's more lawyers.  Can you imagine a world without lawyers?                         |
-Lionel Hutz

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 04:45:23 PM »

Well, he said specifically that he thought about going to law school and got a 722 on the LSAT, so I would rule out the SAT theory because there really wouldn't be any need to mention the fact that he thought about going to law school and correlate that with an SAT score (which is used primarily for college admissions).  Further, I don't think it's possible to get a 722 on the SAT since the score works in increments of ten (so it would probably be closer to 720 or 730).

I know the LSAT grading scale has gone through a number of changes, so I'm sure it's entirely possible that at one time it used to be out of 800. 

Thinking

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 09:40:06 PM »
Glad you wrote.  I am 47 and considering Law School.  I have raised my children (all currently in college), am divorced and able to relocate anywhere in the country.  I have been a registered nurse for 18 years, thinking malpractice law.  My physician friends say "don't".  Most people in our age group are wondering about second careers, but not more school, more fun and peace:)   I figure I will be working for the next 20 years and hopefully not doing what I am doing now, so why not.  Any advice on which schools are more accepting of nontraditional students?

contrarian

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 09:33:45 PM »

Well, he said specifically that he thought about going to law school and got a 722 on the LSAT, so I would rule out the SAT theory because there really wouldn't be any need to mention the fact that he thought about going to law school and correlate that with an SAT score (which is used primarily for college admissions).  Further, I don't think it's possible to get a 722 on the SAT since the score works in increments of ten (so it would probably be closer to 720 or 730).

I know the LSAT grading scale has gone through a number of changes, so I'm sure it's entirely possible that at one time it used to be out of 800. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_School_Admission_Test

Wikipedia says it was 200-800 for a while.  I seem to remember reading this in other locations.  And if Wikipedia states it, then it must be true.

calvinexpress

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2008, 11:38:18 PM »
I know a 65 year old man that is going to law school right now. I also knew a woman that graduated from law school at age 55.

I think you should go. If you score high enough, then you can get a full tuition scholarship to any law school you desire to attend. Go to law school.