Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Stats for DOJ Honors and Clerking  (Read 3823 times)

Median

• View Profile
Stats for DOJ Honors and Clerking
« on: November 18, 2008, 02:47:29 PM »
Hypo:What stats would one need for DOJ Honors or Federal District Court clerking from a T14 law school (w/secondary journal)? What can one do to improve chances (get published- if so how many articles should one try and write, moot court, etc.)? I'm doing biglaw my 2L summer, but am interested in gov'mt work post law school. Thanks for your help in advance.

Aaron12900

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Stats for DOJ Honors and Clerking
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 09:28:10 AM »
what they look for is 1L/ 2L jobs that are not big law but public interest as well as prior experience. With the exception of tax this will be true across the board. I am currently in the DOJ through the honors program and was informed during my interview that while they give offers to those with biglaw clerkships, they need to have stats above that of the average candidate and some reason why they took big law instead of government opp. The interviewer recognizes, of course, that a firm summer position pays more - but that is true for the job as well. As for your stats - if you are in the top 1/3 of a T-14 with secondary journal you will be competitive. 
159/168
accepted:Tulane$$(top choice), Emory,syracuse$$, BU
Rejected: UVA, Cornell, BC
Waitlisted:W&M, UF (WTF!!)
Pending: a whole bunch of slow-ass schools!

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 10:36:02 AM »
what they look for is 1L/ 2L jobs that are not big law but public interest as well as prior experience. With the exception of tax this will be true across the board. I am currently in the DOJ through the honors program and was informed during my interview that while they give offers to those with biglaw clerkships, they need to have stats above that of the average candidate and some reason why they took big law instead of government opp. The interviewer recognizes, of course, that a firm summer position pays more - but that is true for the job as well. As for your stats - if you are in the top 1/3 of a T-14 with secondary journal you will be competitive. 

Did you happen to work at DoJ for a summer/semester during school?  I thought there was a basic understanding that your candidacy for the Honors Program goes up significantly if you've already worked there (presuming they liked the work you did).   One of my friends from another law school (T50) in the Honors Program said the same thing... they didn't have particularly impressive grades but they worked in a particular dept of the DoJ one summer.  Their resume also showed a consistent interest in that area of the law.  I'd think it was a combination of 1. prior DoJ work experience and 2. other consistent work/clinical experience that pushed their application above students from more competitive schools and with higher grades.

We had a student in my class who worked at DoJ last summer and is considering applying to the Honors Program next year. I'd think they stand a good chance if these two points play out.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

SJ228

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:06:35 AM »
It really depends on the division, but I would guess that top 1/3 would be competitive - maybe a little higher for criminal, civil rights, or civil. I am a 3L starting DOJ HP next year (and worked at a big firm last summer), so feel free to PM me if you have any questions.