Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Vanderbilt for NYC biglaw?  (Read 904 times)

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Vanderbilt for NYC biglaw?
« on: November 18, 2008, 01:41:08 PM »
My stats put me at about a 50/50 chance of even getting into Vandy, but I thought I should at least consider applying while it's still relatively early. 

How do Vandy grads tend to do at NYC biglaw?  Are there many there?  If not, is it because they choose to stay around Nashville/DC?

Perspectives of Vandy students would be nice. 

Also, should I bother applying if I am 100% set on NYC?  My stats are 3.53 (3.83 degree) and 167.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

gatornation

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vanderbilt for NYC biglaw?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 01:51:57 PM »
Vandy places a lot of students in New York. If I remember right New York was second or third for Vandy placement after Tennessee and maybe Florida or Georgia.  If you somehow got into Cornell that would be a better choice (for New York Biglaw anyway), but none of the schools immediately below Vandy are going to do better.
Vanderbilt Law Class of '11

CTL

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2008, 01:59:36 PM »
Believe me, I'm TRYING to get into Cornell.  Definitely my top choice.
If looks could kill, you would be an uzi.

Put em up!

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 12:30:09 PM »
Vandy places a lot of students in New York. If I remember right New York was second or third for Vandy placement after Tennessee and maybe Florida or Georgia.  If you somehow got into Cornell that would be a better choice (for New York Biglaw anyway), but none of the schools immediately below Vandy are going to do better.

I believe from the employment stats JNSL posted, 16 or 17 people from the class of 2007 were going to NYC.
Observationalist posted that for the summer placement of the class of 2009, 25 were going to NYC which is 13% of the class.

If you are dead set on NYC big law, it wouldn't be ruled out by any means if you went to Vandy.