Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Can I transfer Law school after I begin my 2L year or finish with it?  (Read 6413 times)

potentprodigy

• View Profile
    • Email
I really would like to transfer law schools after this or next semester if possible.  I am currently in my Fall semester of my 2nd year.  If anyone knows of any law schools that accept transfer students either after their Fall semester or Spring Semester of the law students 2nd year, please let me know.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Can I transfer Law school after I begin my 2L year or finish with it?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 07:13:37 PM »
As far as I know you can transfer after 2L, but you loose all those credits, so you start over with just 30 even if you already did 60. Why do you want to transfer now?
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Susan B. Anthony

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:15:24 PM »
Or you can apply to be a visiting student, but your degree is still from your first law school.

justuskuhn

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2008, 01:00:43 AM »
I think Georgetown permits a handful of transfers mid 2L year.  However, they had a full transfer class over the summer, and I think are actually trying to scale back those numbers, so you'd have to call the school and ask.  But I've heard that they are a rare school that has in the past permitted that.  Obviously grades, recs, etc.. need to be great. 

juliemccoy

• Sr. Citizen
  • Treat??
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2008, 08:26:00 PM »
Yes, you may apply to transfer as a 2L. However, the law school will only accept a max of 30 credits when you transfer.

One of my friends transferred home after 2L for family reasons. As a result, he will have been in law school for 4 years. We call him a 4L.

(He tried to visit, but his original school made things very difficult and the family situation was urgent).
Vanderbilt 2010

TeeTwenty

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2008, 09:00:54 PM »
I remember seeing someone on here who transferred to Chicago after 2L...

ILoveItWhenYouHateUs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 10:31:22 PM »
Each school has different policies.  NYU and Penn will NOT let you do it.  Also, schools allow differing numbers of transfer credits.  Most of this information is available on the school's website.  However, if it's unclear, just call em up. 

I transferred after withdrawing in November of my 2L year.