Law School Discussion

Summer before law school

Summer before law school
« on: November 17, 2008, 03:36:44 PM »
Hey, I'm a current undergrad who is going to law school starting next fall. I'm just wondering what people usually do for a summer job in between undergrad and law school. A lot of internships are usually only open to current undergrads, and no full time job would take someone only for a summer, so it's kind of an awkward time to be looking for a job. While doing nothing at home will offer a break, I'm pretty sure I'll find not working to be mind numbing. I'd also like to make a little money as well. Any thoughts?

Re: Summer before law school
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 05:32:09 PM »
A friend of mine worked at a fast food joint before coming to the University of Chicago Law School.  He was extremely successful; they offered him the shift manager position after a month, but he politely declined.

*devo*

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 05:36:36 PM »
Well, I will probably continue the job I have now, but on a full-time basis.

no634

• View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 08:50:02 AM »
I was a summer RA... just do something that will let you save the most amount of money without stressing you out. You eat out in law school more than you think...

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 02:13:52 PM »
Yeah, last summer I was a teaching intern at a private school, so I might do that again. The job was only 5 weeks long, but it was fun and paid decently for the time I worked.

SplorkyFish

• U Chicago 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 05:45:32 PM »
I couldn't find a freaking job the summer before law school.  I had a part time (8 hour a week) job for a while, but quit because 8 hours a week is pointless.  Then I tried delivering yellow pages, but it was a net loss once gas/wear-and-tear on my vehicle were factored in. It'll be interesting to actually look attractive to employers.

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 01:48:48 PM »
Hey, I'm a current undergrad who is going to law school starting next fall. I'm just wondering what people usually do for a summer job in between undergrad and law school. A lot of internships are usually only open to current undergrads, and no full time job would take someone only for a summer, so it's kind of an awkward time to be looking for a job. While doing nothing at home will offer a break, I'm pretty sure I'll find not working to be mind numbing. I'd also like to make a little money as well. Any thoughts?

From your other posts, I gather you're a pretty decent trumpet player, right?  See if you can pick up some students, if you don't already teach.  Not really a full time job, but I know you can make a killing on private lessons.  Maybe advertise in local middle and high schools, colleges nearby with music programs?  If you can sell yourself out as a theory or ear training tutor too, there's probably some undergrad music majors that would fork over a lot of cash for your help.  You can rack up some extra money and still have plenty of free time to have a life before you become a slave to law textbooks!

Just an idea :)

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 04:13:47 PM »

From your other posts, I gather you're a pretty decent trumpet player, right?  See if you can pick up some students, if you don't already teach.  Not really a full time job, but I know you can make a killing on private lessons.  Maybe advertise in local middle and high schools, colleges nearby with music programs?  If you can sell yourself out as a theory or ear training tutor too, there's probably some undergrad music majors that would fork over a lot of cash for your help.  You can rack up some extra money and still have plenty of free time to have a life before you become a slave to law textbooks!

Just an idea :)

Yeah, I did this in high school and planned on doing it for my freshman summer of college. I distributed fliers and advertised and got ZERO students, so I quickly made other plans. I might be a bit more legit now having gone through college, though.

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 04:48:47 PM »
Sperm or egg donation.

Tetris

• Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 06:46:51 PM »
Sperm or egg donation.

Why stop there?

OP: you have two testicles, right? And how many do you need to make babies?