Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Summer before law school  (Read 2751 times)

Live Free or Die

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Summer before law school
« on: November 17, 2008, 05:36:44 PM »
Hey, I'm a current undergrad who is going to law school starting next fall. I'm just wondering what people usually do for a summer job in between undergrad and law school. A lot of internships are usually only open to current undergrads, and no full time job would take someone only for a summer, so it's kind of an awkward time to be looking for a job. While doing nothing at home will offer a break, I'm pretty sure I'll find not working to be mind numbing. I'd also like to make a little money as well. Any thoughts?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Summer before law school
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 07:32:09 PM »
A friend of mine worked at a fast food joint before coming to the University of Chicago Law School.  He was extremely successful; they offered him the shift manager position after a month, but he politely declined.

*devo*

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 07:36:36 PM »
Well, I will probably continue the job I have now, but on a full-time basis.

no634

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • No 634
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:50:02 AM »
I was a summer RA... just do something that will let you save the most amount of money without stressing you out. You eat out in law school more than you think...

Live Free or Die

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 04:13:52 PM »
Yeah, last summer I was a teaching intern at a private school, so I might do that again. The job was only 5 weeks long, but it was fun and paid decently for the time I worked.

SplorkyFish

• U Chicago 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 07:45:32 PM »
I couldn't find a freaking job the summer before law school.  I had a part time (8 hour a week) job for a while, but quit because 8 hours a week is pointless.  Then I tried delivering yellow pages, but it was a net loss once gas/wear-and-tear on my vehicle were factored in. It'll be interesting to actually look attractive to employers.

itzjulz

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 03:48:48 PM »
Hey, I'm a current undergrad who is going to law school starting next fall. I'm just wondering what people usually do for a summer job in between undergrad and law school. A lot of internships are usually only open to current undergrads, and no full time job would take someone only for a summer, so it's kind of an awkward time to be looking for a job. While doing nothing at home will offer a break, I'm pretty sure I'll find not working to be mind numbing. I'd also like to make a little money as well. Any thoughts?

From your other posts, I gather you're a pretty decent trumpet player, right?  See if you can pick up some students, if you don't already teach.  Not really a full time job, but I know you can make a killing on private lessons.  Maybe advertise in local middle and high schools, colleges nearby with music programs?  If you can sell yourself out as a theory or ear training tutor too, there's probably some undergrad music majors that would fork over a lot of cash for your help.  You can rack up some extra money and still have plenty of free time to have a life before you become a slave to law textbooks!

Just an idea :)
3.84/167

Live Free or Die

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 06:13:47 PM »

From your other posts, I gather you're a pretty decent trumpet player, right?  See if you can pick up some students, if you don't already teach.  Not really a full time job, but I know you can make a killing on private lessons.  Maybe advertise in local middle and high schools, colleges nearby with music programs?  If you can sell yourself out as a theory or ear training tutor too, there's probably some undergrad music majors that would fork over a lot of cash for your help.  You can rack up some extra money and still have plenty of free time to have a life before you become a slave to law textbooks!

Just an idea :)

Yeah, I did this in high school and planned on doing it for my freshman summer of college. I distributed fliers and advertised and got ZERO students, so I quickly made other plans. I might be a bit more legit now having gone through college, though.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 06:48:47 PM »
Sperm or egg donation.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.

Tetris

• Sr. Citizen
  • Michigan Rocks
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2008, 08:46:51 PM »
Sperm or egg donation.

Why stop there?

OP: you have two testicles, right? And how many do you need to make babies?
_______
.|E|R|S.