Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Law School Placement in Texas Big Law Firms  (Read 9113 times)

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
Law School Placement in Texas Big Law Firms
« on: November 17, 2008, 02:13:08 PM »
For those interested in practicing in Texas, here is a list of the 23 largest firms in Texas and the law schools of the Class of 2008.

University of Texas School of Law 108
Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law 53
University of Houston Law Center 49
University of Virginia School of Law 21
Texas Tech University School of Law 14
Baylor University School of Law 13
Harvard Law School 13
Vanderbilt University Law School 13
Georgetown University Law Center 11
South Texas College of Law 11
Columbia Law School 8
Louisiana State University Paul M. Hebert Law Center 8
Tulane Law School 7
Duke University School of Law 6
Texas Southern University Thurgood Marshall School of Law 6
Texas Wesleyan University School of Law 5
University of Chicago Law School 5
University of Oklahoma College of Law 5
Washington University in St. Louis School of Law 5
William and Mary School of Law 5
Northwestern University School of Law 5
St. Mary's University School of Law 4
University of Michigan Law School 4
Brigham Young University J. Reuben Clark Law School 3
Notre Dame Law School 3
Stanford Law School 3
University of Arkansas School of Law 3
Yale Law School 2
Wake Forrest University School of Law 2
University of Tulsa College of Law 2
University of Pittsburgh School of Law 2
University of Kansas School of Law 2
University of Pennsylvania Law School 2
Pepperdine University School of Law 2
Loyola University Chicago School of Law 2
George Washington University Law School 2
All other law schools 37

ARTICLE: http://www.law.com/jsp/tx/PubArticleTX.jsp?id=1202425868392
CHART: http://www.law.com/jsp/tx/PubArticleTX.jsp?id=1202425873105

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Law School Placement in Texas Big Law Firms
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 02:28:42 PM »
Tech > Baylor

Would be far more interesting at 50 largest firms.

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 06:04:44 PM »
Tech > Baylor

Would be far more interesting at 50 largest firms.

True, but remember Baylor's class size is much smaller than Tech's. Tech has over 200 grads and Baylor typically graduates 100 in May, which I think is the graduating class that Texas Laywer uses to make up its 2008 survey. So on a percentile basis, 8% of Tech grads are at these big firms and 13% of Baylor grads are at these firms.

hihaihai

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2009, 09:04:45 AM »
this list does make sense.

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 04:05:57 PM »
That said, Texas markets are money right now, and I'm looking forward to being in Houston for the summer and working with all the UT/UH/scattered T14 folks that will be there.

LOL...considering the weather in Houston, I don't think I have ever heard anyone say that they are "looking forward to being in Houston for the summer..." But considering the salary and COL for Texas, you are right about Texas being a great legal market to work in. Even though UT has been ranked over Vandy for a while (except this year), I think Vandy is still under-rated nationally. I think if more Vandy folks started applying to Texas firms, they would give UT a run for its money during recruiting season.

davidmarques01

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2010, 02:51:52 AM »
I recently done my MBA and now days I want to do some online Microsoft certifications and I Found this online notes is a best helping source to get online accurate information which is more helpful for my preparation.
davidmarques

mnewboldc

• View Profile
    • No Record Press
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 05:48:07 PM »
For the love of all that is reasonable, THE ECONOMY HAS CHANGED. 2008 numbers ANYWHERE are NOT APPLICABLE. Look at the NLJ 250 placement stats between the classes of 2008 and 2009. Note that the 2007 OCI was considered vastly better than the 2008 OCI, and that, in comparison to the 2008 OCI, the 2009 OCI was a bloodbath.

To give you some examples:
-rumor has it that UT advertised "part-time law assistant/nanny" jobs on symplicity.
-rumor has it that the percentage of Columbia 2L's who got at least one offer from their OCI program dropped from 97% to 67% between 2008 and 2009.
-rumor has it that Georgetown students at the MEDIAN are having trouble finding internships in D.C.

Debating the relative merits of in-state schools is fine. Debating those merits on the basis of these statistics is a recipe for disaster.
Cornell 2011

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 02:56:57 PM »
For the love of all that is reasonable, THE ECONOMY HAS CHANGED. 2008 numbers ANYWHERE are NOT APPLICABLE. Look at the NLJ 250 placement stats between the classes of 2008 and 2009. Note that the 2007 OCI was considered vastly better than the 2008 OCI, and that, in comparison to the 2008 OCI, the 2009 OCI was a bloodbath.

-rumor has it that UT advertised "part-time law assistant/nanny" jobs on symplicity.
-rumor has it that the percentage of Columbia 2L's who got at least one offer from their OCI program dropped from 97% to 67% between 2008 and 2009.
-rumor has it that Georgetown students at the MEDIAN are having trouble finding internships in D.C.

Debating the relative merits of in-state schools is fine. Debating those merits on the basis of these statistics is a recipe for disaster.

Agreed (although Vanderbilt actually increased its NLJ250 placement between 2008 and 2009... not all schools saw a drop off between those two years).

Class of 2010 2L placement for Vanderbilt dropped from about 64% in NLJ250 firms to about 49%, and a number of that 49% did not receive offers at the end of the summer.  Based on what I've seen from Class of 2011 2L placement, they will likely be an additional 10-15% below what my class (10) pulled off.  Regardless, the school will be publishing Class of '11 2L summer employment lists sometime in June/July.  If you really want to see how different schools are faring, then accepted students need to contact UT, Cornell, GULC etc and ask for the same information.

All the schools collect information on 2L summer employment; it's just a matter of reminding them that the employment stats they provide for pre-ITE classes are largely irrelevant right now.  You need to see what the Class of 2010 and '11 are doing for work right now, and the only people who have that information are current students and the law schools themselves.  Ask away.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10

observationalist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Law School Transparency
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »

Also, to mnewbold: thanks for the help, and good luck spreading the word around.  This is going to be one massive information request once it goes out in a few months.
Vanderbilt University Law School Class of '10