Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Possible job opportunity  (Read 3705 times)

ABDomega

• View Profile
Possible job opportunity
« on: November 17, 2008, 10:30:21 AM »
I ran into a college acquaintence during the summer who works in the corporate department of a small firm in my city. Since I was looking for jobs after graduation he told me to shoot him an email. I sent him a cover letter and resume noting that I was interested in corporate law and that I was taking a finance transaction concentration at school.

In his reply, he stated that his firm is growing but is very need specific and that the corporate department (6 attorneys) is trying to grow. He asked me to describe specifically what I would like to do for him.

My question is how do I tailor my response email?

At this point, I'm willing to start from the bottom and work my way up in anything transactional. But I really don't know what this involves other than review of contracts. I don't want to necessarily tell him this because I don't want to come across as desperate or naive.

What would be the best way to handle this?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
Re: Possible job opportunity
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 10:56:24 AM »
go to your schools law library, see what books they have on corprate law, do a west law search for law review artciles, skim these resources so you can get a small but working knowladge of the legal practice. See if there is a corprate law section of your local bar, do they have a website, newsletter, that should tell you what some current issue are the in he filed. Your a law student, you should know how to research by now, do it. You don't have to beome an expert, just familer with the diffrent types of practice and terms of art, then list the ones that intrest you. The end by saying your a hardworker, eager to leran, team player who would love the opptunity to work with the firm's lawyers in strengtheing the corprate department and brining in new buisness. Good luck!
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

ABDomega

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 04:29:48 PM »
Thank you. I sent him an email and will hope for the best.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 04:57:57 PM »
go to your schools law library, see what books they have on corprate law, do a west law search for law review artciles, skim these resources so you can get a small but working knowladge of the legal practice. See if there is a corprate law section of your local bar, do they have a website, newsletter, that should tell you what some current issue are the in he filed. Your a law student, you should know how to research by now, do it. You don't have to beome an expert, just familer with the diffrent types of practice and terms of art, then list the ones that intrest you. The end by saying your a hardworker, eager to leran, team player who would love the opptunity to work with the firm's lawyers in strengtheing the corprate department and brining in new buisness. Good luck!

god...matthies is freakin' sick.  he could land a cooley grad a v100 SA gig from the bottom of the class with his ill kill advice...

ABDomega

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 11:46:52 AM »
Well, nearly a month later I finally get a phone call from the firm. I scheduled an interview with the firm for next week. Though I showed interest in corporate law, I will interviewing with a senior trial attorney in the litigation department. I don't know if she is just the one who does interviews or if they have a slot in the litigation department but I'll find that out next week.

just Trev

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 11:46:02 PM »
please refer to my previous post detailing the probable outcome of your situation...

logickills

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2008, 12:15:33 AM »
good luck abd.  the economy blows so i'll be pulling for you.
accepted: duke, georgetown, fordham $$, umich $$, nyu!, uchicago, uva, gw
pending: berkeley (rejected), yale (rejected), stanford, harvard, columbia (WL), upenn (WL)
lsn: logickills

ABDomega

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2008, 08:52:18 AM »
please refer to my previous post detailing the probable outcome of your situation...

Yes, very constructive. Thank you.

ABDomega

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2008, 08:52:55 AM »
good luck abd.  the economy blows so i'll be pulling for you.

I appreciate it. I won't assume anything considering the market.

ABDomega

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2009, 08:11:29 PM »
Got the job. Whether it pans out to a full-time attorney position is yet to be seen.