Law School Discussion

$$$$

$$$$
« on: November 16, 2008, 02:52:16 PM »
I couldn't find this anywhere through a search - Out of curiosity, are there established breakdowns for the dollar or tuition % associated with a given number of $'s when they're used in discussion? {E.g. When someone asks UVA {$$$} or NYU {$}?!?!)

Obviously more $'s is more money...wondering if there's more to it than that or if they're just used kind of loosely.

tcwhat

• View Profile
Re: $$$$
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:55:42 PM »
I couldn't find this anywhere through a search - Out of curiosity, are there established breakdowns for the dollar or tuition % associated with a given number of $'s when they're used in discussion? {E.g. When someone asks UVA {$$$} or NYU {$}?!?!)

Obviously more $'s is more money...wondering if there's more to it than that or if they're just used kind of loosely.

It's a loose kind of thing.

middlepath

• contemplate, contemplate, contemplate
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:27:06 PM »
I think commonsense and discretion goes a long way. For example, if I were to get the Emory $96K deal then I would probably say Emory ($$$) and if I got like, say, $15K at Vandy then I would probably say Vandy ($).

note: the sums above are 3-year totals. If Vandy was giving me $15K per year [by god] then I would say Vandy($$).

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 07:09:31 PM »
I always kind of thought of it as...

$$$$...80% to full
$$$.. 50-80%
$$.. 25-50%
$.. up to 25%

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 08:21:30 PM »
Thank you all.  :)

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 08:30:02 PM »
I always thought it was just however excited the person was when they wrote it.