• View Profile
« on: November 16, 2008, 12:36:20 AM »

Changed Name

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: So you've bombed OCI at an elite school - come here for advice and support
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:13:17 PM »
Hey, Theor.

I was wondering if you're still working as a Federal prosecutor and was wondering if you could speak to the job a little bit (do you like working there?  What type of work do you do?  Is it interesting?).

Thanks.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 03:34:34 PM »
DOJ has always been the savior for top students that couldn't pull biglaw.

Light workload + impossible-to-lose cases = great fun.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 03:42:59 PM »

Really?  I get the sense that DoJ is insanely competitive in comparison to a random BigLaw position.  I know that many of my peers consider it a "dream job."

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 04:12:27 PM »
I work with a bunch of lawyers who are former federal prosecutors - at least in NYC (Southern and Eastern districts), the hours are more or less backbreaking, and the jobs are nearly impossible to get. The impossible-to-lose cases thing is pretty spot on though.

I'm sure this differs from market to market.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 04:14:02 PM »

Really?  I get the sense that DoJ is insanely competitive in comparison to a random BigLaw position.  I know that many of my peers consider it a "dream job."

This is my sense as well. At least, DOJ Honors programs. My sense is that you have to either have great credentials and get in through the honors programs, or lots of relevant experience and get hired as a lateral (if that's the right term for it). The OP's experience seems anomalous, but he probably know more information about this than I do.

ETA: My observation was that the hours depended entirely on your section. Some sections litigate a LOT, and those people work really insane hours. Some sections don't go to trial much, and their hours are much more chill.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 04:21:01 PM »

This is my sense as well. At least, DOJ Honors programs. My sense is that you have to either have great credentials and get in through the honors programs, or lots of relevant experience and get hired as a lateral (if that's the right term for it). The OP's experience seems anomalous, but he probably know more information about this than I do.

ETA: My observation was that the hours depended entirely on your section. Some sections litigate a LOT, and those people work really insane hours. Some sections don't go to trial much, and their hours are much more chill.

It was less a commentary on the competitiveness and more a commentary on the timeline + mostly inflation proof hiring class size.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 06:07:03 PM »
My sense is that you have to either have great credentials and get in through the honors programs, or lots of relevant experience and get hired as a lateral (if that's the right term for it). The OP's experience seems anomalous, but he probably know more information about this than I do.

You really know very little about my experience, even from what I've posted on this site.

This whole thread has gone way off topic.

No need to get snippy. I was taking issue with botbot's comment that DOJ has  "always been the savior" for students who "couldn't pull biglaw." That seemed misleading to me, based on my experience.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 08:36:39 PM »
I'm not trying to be snappy, but I think a "paycheck" can mean many things.  I would be happy with a modest salary that allowed me to pay down my debt and enjoy a decent standard of living; to be fair, I never said anything about making millions.  I think you would agree that that's what you want(ed), too.

Could you talk about the type of litigation that your friends do as opposed to what you do?  A civil action is largely a civil action, no?  Do they do more discovery?  More eager to settle?  Do they fight at the appellate level more often?  Judgment as a matter of law?

What would be the difference between litigating for the DoJ and, say, litigating at Cravath?

Thank you.  I appreciate the comments, as per usual.  It's nice to have someone older talking about the legal world.  I'm sorry if my previous comments came across the wrong way.

<-- taking a break from working on Bigelow memo.  Maybe that brings up memories for you.   :)

Jets

• Sr. Citizen
  • At least the Pats missed the playoffs...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 08:58:16 PM »
What would be the difference between litigating for the DoJ and, say, litigating at Cravath?

It sounds like he actually gets to be involved in the litigation at the DOJ, rather than just watch a partner do everything important, at Cravath. (Which isn't really a firm I personally would want go to, if I was hoping to do litigation, which I am. They're known more for their corporate work, I think.)

I'm not going there, but CSM actually has a very strong litigation department.