Law School Discussion

"decent softs"

"decent softs"
« on: November 15, 2008, 07:15:15 PM »
What do people applying to t14 schools typically mean when they refer to having decent softs?  And out of the factors that could be considered decent, how many do most people have?

I never played the club-joining game that everyone else did in college; didn't apply to any honors societies either.  I can only think of a few things to put down as soft factors, but I'm sure that everyone else can fill up a lot more space.

Here are the few things I do have:

1. I've been an SAT tutor for a few years, which I'm sure is pretty common.
2. I did a short internship for the local DA's office last summer, which is probably also pretty common.
3. I work as a debate coach.

I'm not looking for my soft factors to pull me up beyond my numbers at top schools, but does anyone think they'll drag me down?

Re: "decent softs"
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 12:38:51 AM »
Better than mine...

MahlerGrooves

• See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 11:57:27 AM »
Soft factors are just that, SOFT.  While they can help you if fantastic, they will not hurt you if mediocre as long as your numbers are good.  Numbers will win out at the end of the day.

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 12:24:15 PM »
If I snickered for at least two minutes regarding the subject title, am I a bad person?

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 11:18:48 PM »
No, just easily amused.  I think you'd have to work hard to find innuendo in the subject title.

Yes, hard.

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2008, 05:47:58 AM »

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 04:24:08 PM »
I think the question is really "how deep does the rabbit hole go" (ah matrix references). If you have something that you can write a PS about that is really meaningful, that's probably a great soft factor (your debate team for example).

Otherwise, it's just a list you need to write something down on, adcomms know we fill it with stuff we did for maybe a week.