Law School Discussion

How Hard is it To Land a Legal Aid Position?

How Hard is it To Land a Legal Aid Position?
« on: November 14, 2008, 11:29:27 PM »
 ???

Can I bank on that and firms and RA?

Re: How Hard is it To Land a Legal Aid Position?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 11:50:08 PM »
During the summer?  It would be hard to do all 3 of those things at one time, I would think.

As for how hard it is to get these things.  It depends on where you are, your personality, and who you know.

I worked at legal aid and for a professor my 1L summer.

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 11:57:33 PM »
Does school matter?

I live in Chicago, I don't know anyone, and I'm generally a nice guy.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 07:50:52 AM »
my local legal aid hires two for each summer.  usually these are extremely competitive, my 1L summer the other girl hired was #4 in the class. 

i think its a mistake to count on these as "backup" jobs, however.  they were advertising for an attorney while i was there and got over 150 applications from all over the country.

ymmv, though.

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 10:34:45 AM »
I "interviewed" at a legal aid place in Houston for my 1L summer.  The interview lasted about 3 hours and mostly consisted of the lawyers just telling war stories (while poor people were waiting to be seen outside).  They didn't seem like they had any system for hiring interns at all and were genuinely surprised when I sent them my resume.  Anyway, I was offered the job on the spot but never really considered it because they seemed so disorganized.   

Miss P

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 11:37:22 AM »
It depends on the office/location for summer hiring.  For attorney hiring these days, things are looking really bad.

::kills self::

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 11:39:17 AM »
It depends on the office/location for summer hiring.  For attorney hiring these days, things are looking really bad.

youre telling me hon.  sigh.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 05:19:15 PM »

Buck up, lil camper.

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 07:31:39 PM »

Buck up, lil camper.

Seconded!

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 07:42:46 PM »
Don't bank on legal aid because it can be very competitive.  I volunteered with a legal aid office for an academic year and wanted to work in public service.  They interviewed me, but turned me down for a summer position. They did refer me to another legal aid program where I did get a job though.

As for working as an RA, it just depends on the professor.  Get to know some of them.