Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: University of Florida Personal Statement  (Read 2530 times)

ajrm116

• View Profile
University of Florida Personal Statement
« on: November 13, 2008, 06:13:23 PM »
Hey all,
I have a question about the UF application. Part 5 of the application is an optional diversity statement. However, I did not see a prompt for a regular personal statement. There is a mention of an "admissions statement" in the checklist, but there are no further instructions. Is that my cue to attach my general personal statement?
Thanks in advance!

randyers09

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: University of Florida Personal Statement
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 11:59:32 PM »
I would call the admissions office if I were you and ask them...

jarfrey juhraf

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 10:04:59 PM »
http://www.law.ufl.edu/admissions/adddocs.shtml
you also need a resume.

Quick question:
"the college requires each applicant to write an admissions statement not to exceed four double-spaced pages in a font no smaller than 12 pt. This statement.."

Most schools require a 2 pg pers stmt, Florida allows up to 4 pages. I have a decent rough draft that is 2pg, but I could easily add some more detail. My question is should I stretch out to 4 page or keep it at 2??

I have read that some schools weed out people who are not serious about applying by having unique rules (like having a 4 page max instead of 2 page max and weeding out many of the 2 page submissions)

SavoyTruffleShuffle

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 10:22:12 PM »
i know GW sets a 500 word limit on it... which sucked, given that my 2-page standard statement is about 860 words and i had to cut pretty much every remotely extraneous word, detail, or phrase.

green918

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 10:34:27 PM »
There is no prompt other than the usual "tell us about yourself" bit on the UF application.
I used my general ps.
Accepted: University of Florida, Florida State
Pending: UGA

green918

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 10:41:56 PM »
http://www.law.ufl.edu/admissions/adddocs.shtml
you also need a resume.

Quick question:
"the college requires each applicant to write an admissions statement not to exceed four double-spaced pages in a font no smaller than 12 pt. This statement.."

Most schools require a 2 pg pers stmt, Florida allows up to 4 pages. I have a decent rough draft that is 2pg, but I could easily add some more detail. My question is should I stretch out to 4 page or keep it at 2??

I have read that some schools weed out people who are not serious about applying by having unique rules (like having a 4 page max instead of 2 page max and weeding out many of the 2 page submissions)

PS if anyone wants to trade/critique pers statements i'm game.
randallel2687103@hotmail.com

Mine ended up being 2 1/2 pages and at first I considered making it longer because of the 4 page max.
But if you are happy with your ps the way it is, why add to it unless you think you are improving it?
They would probably rather read your well written 2 page ps than read 2 extra pages of fluff.
If you think you can make it better by adding, go for it, but if not leave it at 2.
Accepted: University of Florida, Florida State
Pending: UGA

jarfrey juhraf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 11:49:19 PM »
I feel like I am leaving things out in 2 pgs. I have a low LSAT by Florida's standards but exceptional soft factors, gpa, work experience. So I think it might be in my best interest to get it all in. I assume they would have a 2 pg max like everyone else if they really didnt want to read a little extra about their applicants...