Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: UChicago Email RE: Scholarships for ED Applicants  (Read 2122 times)

merrimackattack

• View Profile
UChicago Email RE: Scholarships for ED Applicants
« on: November 13, 2008, 02:50:06 PM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the board, but I figured this would be a good place to get some information on an email I just got from the University of Chicago. 

The email says that because of some funding they've received, they are able to offer "generous scholarships" to students who apply early decision, and they invite me to change my application from regular to ED.

Obviously the reason that I didn't apply ED in the first place is that Chicago is not my first choice, but that might change if there was some scholarship $$ at stake. 

Have many other applicants received this email?  Any idea on how generous or numerous these scholarships are?  Do many Chicago ED admits receive some kind of scholarship?  Thanks in advance for any info.

gsr

• View Profile
Re: UChicago Email RE: Scholarships for ED Applicants
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 10:36:13 PM »
I got it too. Won't be switching to ED but wondering what it all means. Anyone?

Imperial Russian Stout!

• Sr. Citizen
  • The Evil Stork!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 11:48:27 PM »
My reservation with that deal would be that if you switch over to ED and they don't give you one of these "generous scholarships," you'll lose all scholarship leverage down the line if they do admit you.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 02:29:34 PM »
I'm another Chicago Law student, and I wanted to say that I agree with bosco and hipcathobbes, two of my classmates.  Call and ask and good luck.  This is a great school.  If you have any questions about it that don't involve ED, feel free to PM.

Migrate

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 01:00:01 AM »
mind if i ask those of you who got the email, what your stats are and when you went complete?

merrimackattack

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 11:40:53 AM »
mind if i ask those of you who got the email, what your stats are and when you went complete?

Sure,

4/173 and I went complete in late September.

wkjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 12:08:27 PM »
3.97/174 - complete in late october

wkjr

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 02:52:10 PM »
I'm another Chicago Law student, and I wanted to say that I agree with bosco and hipcathobbes, two of my classmates.  Call and ask and good luck.  This is a great school.  If you have any questions about it that don't involve ED, feel free to PM.

i do have a couple questions - did any of those of you who went to chicago have to decide between columbia/nyu and chicago, and if you did, what tipped the scales for chicago?  also, what's the student body like?  i'm a pretty intense studier, but i like my football and occasional beer...are there enough bears fans to make life interesting?  along those lines, what have you liked/disliked about the smaller size of the student body?

clairel

• Sr. Citizen
  • UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 03:12:51 PM »

i do have a couple questions - did any of those of you who went to chicago have to decide between columbia/nyu and chicago, and if you did, what tipped the scales for chicago?  also, what's the student body like?  i'm a pretty intense studier, but i like my football and occasional beer...are there enough bears fans to make life interesting?  along those lines, what have you liked/disliked about the smaller size of the student body?

i didn't want to live in NYC (i know, i'm crazy), so i didn't have to make that choice. on the other hand, chicago is actually a very social school. the location probably isn't as good as nyu or columbia (you either have to bus or cab up north if you want to go to the good bars, although most people live up north their 2nd and 3rd year). at the same time, it's insanely cheaper. a one-bedroom with grad student housing will probably run you around $900; i have a furnished studio four blocks from the law school with a parking spot for less than that. regents is more expensive but still much much cheaper than NYC.

i am not so much a sports fan but i know several 3Ls who are obsessed with the bears. plenty of us go drinking on the weekends, on thursdays at school-sponsored bar review, and at the school pub, especially on tuesday where you can play trivia. there's also wine mess at the law school on thursdays and sometimes fridays. so basically there are plenty of social opportunities. another chicago 1L can probably concur with me that if you want to be social, DO NOT LIVE IN NEW GRAD. but if you live in regents or grad student housing, you'll have plenty of opportunities to find people who have similar social tastes.

i'm pretty sure some of the other 2Ls on this thread chose chicago over nyu/columbia so they might be more helpful.

nerfco

• Sr. Citizen
  • U.Chi '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »

I chose Chicago over NYU, with the same scholarship at each, due primarily to the living situation, the smaller student body size, and the impression I got from each school during visits. For much less money, I was able to get a substantially bigger/nicer apartment in Chicago than those at NYU. I like smaller student body sizes, as I feel it gives me a better chance to get to know everyone, and creates a tighter student body. I really enjoyed the ASW at Chicago--the people seemed cool, the city seemed to have enough to do for my tastes (I came in never having visited either Chicago or New York before), and was reasonably close via cab. I enjoy it here, and don't regret my choice. also, I don't intend any of this to be ragging on NYU--I am sure that if I had chose to go there, I would have enjoyed my time there, too.

You won't have trouble finding either football or beer fans at Chicago, trust me. There are ample opportunities for drinking, both school-organized, and with friends. There is never a shortage of Bears fans. What clairel said about this was correct.