Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Effect of low level classes  (Read 1248 times)

nooyyllib

Effect of low level classes
« on: November 13, 2008, 12:51:26 PM »
Hey guys, I'm a junior currently in undergrad and trying to decide on what to do help out here please.

I just wanted to know if difficulty of classes i take in undergrad will influence my admission to law schools.  For next semester, I originally planned on taking 2x 300 level classes and 2x 400 level classes.  But my current LSAC gpa is a 3.3 and I want to raise it. I feel like by following my original plan, I might not succeed in getting high grades and study for the LSAT (june 09) at the same time.. But of course on the other hand if i took easy classes (i.e. 100,200 level classes like 12 credits).. it would facilitate the process a little bit more...?..

Please help me!!

Also do Adcomms see in significance course loads? I heard they don't....

Chessiesmile

• View Profile
Re: Effect of low level classes
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2008, 11:31:44 PM »
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you; I'm also a junior, taking the June LSAT, and want to pump up my GPA as much as possible.  And while we all know the extreme emphasis law schools place on numbers (GPA/LSAT), I would recommend going with the upper division courses.  First of all, I agree that 1 and 200 level courses are not necessarily conducive to better grades.  There are a host of reasons whey I believe this, but if you're looking for evidence to support my claim, note the "upward trend" present in so many students' undergraduate careers.  Also, I can't help but think that loading up on fluff courses is a pretty obvious tactic through the eyes of adcoms, and might work against you in the event of a tie-breaker.

rush the rushdie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Effect of low level classes
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 01:49:39 PM »
in my experience, the most advanced courses are the best -- not only in value, but the grading curve, as well.  i think it's b/c most (if not all) of the most advanced courses are taught by tenured profs who probably appreciate observing a bunch of college students trying to sound smart/impress somebody who will joke about your paper topic to his/her colleagues. and, out of pity, the prof usually goes pretty easy on the grading.  BEWARE of the assistant/visiting professor who just got turned down for tenure or something --they are vicious.