Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: June 2004 LR #18  (Read 427 times)

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
June 2004 LR #18
« on: August 17, 2005, 09:34:59 PM »
Editorial: it is clear that what is called "health education" is usually propaganda rather than education.  Propaganda and education are never the wsame thing.  The former is nothing but an attempt to influence behavior through the repetition of simplistic slogans, whereas the latter never involves such  a method.  Thgouh education does attempt to influence behavior, it does so by offering informations in all its complexity, leaving it up to the individual to decide how to act on that information.  Sadly, however, propaganda is much more successful than education.

The conclusion drawn by the editorial follows logically if it is assumed that what is called "health education" usually

a.) does not offer information in all its complexity.
b.) attempts to influence behavior solely by repeating simplistic slogans.

Which one is the right answer? and why is the wrong answer wrong?

thanks in advance. ;D

LSATgirl

Re: June 2004 LR #18
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 09:40:02 PM »
I am not one to be attempting these but is it A?

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 09:43:50 PM »

no, it's b.  I got this correct on my preptest, but i had to guess after narrowing it down to those two.  I'm still not 100% sure why one is better than the other.

XYZZY

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 09:44:43 PM »
b.

notice the difference between "health education" and "education".

if "health" education is propaganda, what are the requirements for being propaganda?  (answer: see choice b)

LSATgirl

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 09:45:45 PM »
Good grief!!!!!

I always choose the SUCKER answer!  :'(

no, it's b.  I got this correct on my preptest, but i had to guess after narrowing it down to those two.  I'm still not 100% sure why one is better than the other.

River

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 10:02:20 PM »
Editorial: it is clear that what is called "health education" is usually propaganda rather than education.  Propaganda and education are never the wsame thing.  The former is nothing but an attempt to influence behavior through the repetition of simplistic slogans, whereas the latter never involves such  a method.  Thgouh education does attempt to influence behavior, it does so by offering informations in all its complexity, leaving it up to the individual to decide how to act on that information.  Sadly, however, propaganda is much more successful than education.

The conclusion drawn by the editorial follows logically if it is assumed that what is called "health education" usually

thanks in advance. ;D

"Sadly, however, propaganda is much more successful than education.": Let's extend here a little bit.  Why it is more successful? Only evidence to answer why is that propaganda is only an attempt to influence.,,,. This is an assumption.  If negating it, the argument falls apart.

uwofresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 10:08:09 PM »

thanks in advance. ;D

"Sadly, however, propaganda is much more successful than education.": Let's extend here a little bit.  Why it is more successful? Only evidence to answer why is that propaganda is only an attempt to influence.,,,. This is an assumption.  If negating it, the argument falls apart.

But isn't B just a repetition of the premise?  I thought ASSUMPTION was unstated premise. B is same as
"The former is nothing but an attempt to influence behavior through the repetition of simplistic slogans, whereas the latter never involves such  a method."

XYZZY

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 10:19:19 PM »
slightly different question type.   it asks what information is sufficient to make the conclusion true.  Information that is sufficient for drawing a conclusion isnot always 'necessary'.  So the negation technique doesn't always work.

In this passage it is a special case, because there is only one condition for being propaganda.  If there were multiple conditions, then adding one of them wouldn't necessarily allow one to sufficienty draw the conclusion.

uh.. i realize this is probably confusing, so i'll end it here because it's bedtime and i have to get some.

River

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 10:39:39 PM »

thanks in advance. ;D

But isn't B just a repetition of the premise?  I thought ASSUMPTION was unstated premise. B is same as
"The former is nothing but an attempt to influence behavior through the repetition of simplistic slogans, whereas the latter never involves such  a method."

" what is called "health education" is usually propaganda"(P1)
=HE---Prog

"Propaganda is nothing but an attempt to influence behavior through the repetition of simplistic slogans", P2)
=Prog----only attempt,,,

P1+P2=Prog---only attempt

"Sadly, however, propaganda is much more successful than education"(conclusion)
=proga---successful

Prog---only attempt: premise)
------missing-----
Only attempt---successful

proga---successful: conclusion)

Here we have conclusion as new info, thus we have to assume that only attempt is a factor to make propagonda more successful, in order for the conclusion to follow.  Yet if we  negate "only attempt--successful," then the conclusion does not follow.

Point and Laugh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 10:45:57 PM »
What's the condition for being propaganda? An attempt to influence behavior through repetition of simplistic slogans.
What's the condition for being education? An attempt to influence behavior never through repetition of simplistic slogans.

This is clearly stated in the stimulus in the third sentence and part of the fourth sentence.

Now to prove that health education is actually propaganda, we need to show that it tries to influence behavior through the use of simplistic slogans.

(B) Does this exactly. In fact, not only does it show that health education tries to influence behavior using simplistic slogans, but it uses ONLY simplistic slogans, so we can definitely see that this is strong evidence that health education is actually propaganda.