Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: I want to be a PROSECUTING ATTORNEY (a.k.a assistant district attorney).  (Read 16141 times)

Twiigg

• What you get out of it depends on how you play it.
    • View Profile
Re: I want to be a PROSECUTING ATTORNEY (a.k.a assistant district attorney).
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 03:52:09 PM »
You can only practice law in the state where you take the bar - that is where you are licensed to practice.

If your goal is D.C. and New York, you have to go to the best school you can get into. The Manhattan DA's office, for example, is one of the hardest places in the country to get a job. They receive thousands and thousands of applications for 50-60 spots. They only interview at about 8-10 schools. If you're thinking of smaller, lower-profile localities (ie. Buffalo, St. Louis, Nashville), region starts to matter. If you wanna go for the high-profile gigs, you're going to need to go to a top school that feeds into the offices where you want to work.

What would be considered a "top school?"  Top 10, top 20?  More importantly for me, I suppose: which of these schools feed into the high-profile gigs?
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
--Albert Einstein

Twiigg

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 03:53:53 PM »
Does anyone know in which city crime runs the highest?  It would be awesome to start out there!

I tried to be nice but you're just not very good at this self-sufficiency thing.

Use Google.

Haha point taken.  That didn't warrant a reply.  Sorry!

See above question: How could I find out which schools feed into which offices?

I don't think even google can handle this...
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
--Albert Einstein

Twiigg

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 03:57:13 PM »
Why not defense?  That role is necessary to maintain that order you speak of.

My cousin just started doing that.  That would be fun as well, but I would have to know they were innocent in order to defend them!  I do completely agree that defense lawyers are necessary to maintain order.
--Albert Einstein

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 04:05:44 PM »

My cousin just started doing that.  That would be fun as well, but I would have to know they were innocent in order to defend them!  I do completely agree that defense lawyers are necessary to maintain order.

You've gotta be a flame.

You can check the NALP directory to see where the major DAs offices interview, although this is not necessarily that great a tool, since there are so few openings at each office and just because they interview at a school doesn't mean they make offers to that school

http://www.nalpdirectory.com

Twiigg

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 04:24:50 PM »

You've gotta be a flame.

You can check the NALP directory to see where the major DAs offices interview, although this is not necessarily that great a tool, since there are so few openings at each office and just because they interview at a school doesn't mean they make offers to that school

http://www.nalpdirectory.com

Thanks!  I'll check it out, but I'm not a troll and I don't understand why you think I am!
--Albert Einstein

Twiigg

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2008, 04:26:22 PM »
One other question:

If I did practice as a prosecuting attorney, what would the office I work at be called?  I'm trying to figure out to better work the search engine on the link you gave me!  Would it be a department of justice?
--Albert Einstein

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2008, 04:42:42 PM »
It would be called [XXX County] District Attorney's Office.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #17 on: November 12, 2008, 04:44:54 PM »

One of the reasons defnse attornys make bank is becuase the bolded does not bother them, if it bothers you, don't even think about going that route
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Twiigg

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2008, 04:54:43 PM »

One of the reasons defnse attornys make bank is becuase the bolded does not bother them, if it bothers you, don't even think about going that route

Haha, exactly why I'm not going to!
--Albert Einstein

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2008, 04:58:17 PM »
You're so naive. Please, please research what the criminal justice system actually works like. It's not like Law & Order!