Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: a Saskatchewan dilemma  (Read 4134 times)

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: a Saskatchewan dilemma
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 10:24:39 PM »
Here's a wiki on it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Canadian_provinces_and_territories_by_gross_domestic_product

Though I would argue that is out of date, since there was a lot of economic activity in 2007 and 2008. Namely, Ontario's large loss of manufacturing jobs and continued growth in Alberta and Saskatchewan.  Either way, GDP per capita isn't a very good indicator, as cost of living varies greatly from province to province. ie. in Calgary, you will have sky-high housing prices (I would say for an average home, in an average middle class area you are looking at 500k+) but you have no PST (provincial sales tax) and more likely, a higher wage (even working typical "minimum wage" jobs such as fast food). In Regina, you could buy that same home (until this past year) for about 150k, but you would have PST and a higher income tax. But you would also have cheaper auto insurance and health care which covered more things. But you wouldn't be living in a big city.

Either way, I prefer western Canada and it's going our economy is going to continue to grow, regardless of oil and mining.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 11:21:41 PM »
How hard would it be to immigrate to Vancouver? BA in political science, I don't mind being a janitor.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

meggo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 11:48:45 AM »
I love Vancouver. I wouldn't imagine it would be that easy. But you're law degree is what will get you in....under the NAFTA TN visa scheme.....

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 05:40:12 AM »
I love Vancouver. I wouldn't imagine it would be that easy. But you're law degree is what will get you in....under the NAFTA TN visa scheme.....

Excellent... thank ye.

CanadianForFall09

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 03:35:05 PM »

Excellent... thank ye.

This makes it sound easier than it is. You actually have to go through an accreditation process, which sucks for most (I have heard for most it takes 2 years). After this process you have to find articles, which is pretty unlikely due to the fact that there are many Canadians that attend foreign law schools with the hope of practicing in Canada.

Oh, and the Vancouver market is over-saturated since we have two law schools feeding a small market.

Link to NCA accreditation for those interested: http://www.flsc.ca/en/foreignLawyers/foreignLawyers.asp

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2008, 07:33:24 PM »
Didn't i read somewhere that canada is trying to make it harder for americans to immigrate after the 2004 presidential election?

Anyone?
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2008, 10:28:28 PM »

Excellent... thank ye.

This makes it sound easier than it is. You actually have to go through an accreditation process, which sucks for most (I have heard for most it takes 2 years). After this process you have to find articles, which is pretty unlikely due to the fact that there are many Canadians that attend foreign law schools with the hope of practicing in Canada.

Oh, and the Vancouver market is over-saturated since we have two law schools feeding a small market.

Link to NCA accreditation for those interested: http://www.flsc.ca/en/foreignLawyers/foreignLawyers.asp

I wouldn't be trying to go to Canada general or Vancouver in particular to be a lawyer, just to live. Occupation would be secondary.