Law School Discussion

Where Can I Find MID-LEVEL FIRMS?! (Not on NALP.)

Re: Where Can I Find MID-LEVEL FIRMS?! (Not on NALP.)
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2008, 05:34:42 PM »
Oh, whatever. The Harvard Career office has confirmed their new strategy.  I know a Harvard 2L without a gig yet this summer.   Not "any law student that wants a Biglaw salary can get it."  I can introduce you to dozens in the T14 that would love $160k ANYWHERE.

Are they mostly at your school?

The market blows blows blows.  Everyone at my school is gunning like crazy for the top; they all know just how hard it is to get anything going.

You are overgeneralizing and exaggerating.

Ugh . . . no.  But it's possible you're in F, which is widely considered the "fun" section.

What do you mean "no"?  You honestly think you can state that EVERYONE is GUNNING LIKE CRAZY for the top?  This is definitely not true - I regularly hear people say they're just aiming for median.

rnb

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2008, 06:57:56 PM »
^Very true about Texas having more mid-size firms. 

I'm not sure about the litigation thing though.  The California mid-size firms have similar practice areas to big firms (and about split 50-50 for litigation and transactional).  The Texas ones might be more litigation focused. 

Your midlaw = 30-150 lawyers?

I'm not sure what I would consider "midlaw."  I posed this question in another thread and nobody answered.  I would say 30-150 is a fair definition though (and roughly the definition I used when referring to Texas and California mid-size firms). 

« Reply #22 on: November 10, 2008, 11:54:37 PM »
I'm not afraid to say I'm gunning for good grades, but maybe not gunning like crazy.  I'm more of the already-have-the-outline, taking-practice-tests type.  I also know that Hip is an excellent student.

There are a few very very smart people here, and I think that, whatever happens, they'll hit the top of the curve.  After that, it's somewhat of a crapshoot.