Law School Discussion

Where Can I Find MID-LEVEL FIRMS?! (Not on NALP.)

Re: Where Can I Find MID-LEVEL FIRMS?! (Not on NALP.)
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 10:42:26 AM »
Oh, whatever. The Harvard Career office has confirmed their new strategy.  I know a Harvard 2L without a gig yet this summer.   Not "any law student that wants a Biglaw salary can get it."  I can introduce you to dozens in the T14 that would love $160k ANYWHERE.

Are they mostly at your school?

The market blows blows blows.  Everyone at my school is gunning like crazy for the top; they all know just how hard it is to get anything going.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 10:45:31 AM »
Oh, whatever. The Harvard Career office has confirmed their new strategy.  I know a Harvard 2L without a gig yet this summer.   Not "any law student that wants a Biglaw salary can get it."  I can introduce you to dozens in the T14 that would love $160k ANYWHERE.

The market blows blows blows.  Everyone at my school is gunning like crazy for the top; they all know just how hard it is to get anything going.

All the more reason you should be spending your free time networking with working lawyers and judges in Chicago rather than your classmates. You will meet plenty of mid law folks that way and be more to them than just a faceless résumé.

rnb

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2008, 11:25:22 AM »
I actually think there just aren't many mid-size firms (if that's what you mean by "mid-level").  Once a firm grows over about 50 attorneys, it becomes more likely to get taken over by a big firm.  So you end up with a lot of big firms and a lot of 5-10 attorney firms. 

In San Francisco, for example, I'd guess there are only about 5 firms that are 50-150 attorneys. 

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 11:28:55 AM »
I actually think there just aren't many mid-size firms (if that's what you mean by "mid-level").  Once a firm grows over about 50 attorneys, it becomes more likely to get taken over by a big firm.  So you end up with a lot of big firms and a lot of 5-10 attorney firms. 

In San Francisco, for example, I'd guess there are only about 5 firms that are 50-150 attorneys. 

Dallas, Houston, and ATL are decently midlawered.

Midlaw is almost exclusively litigation though...

rnb

« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 01:41:26 PM »
^Very true about Texas having more mid-size firms. 

I'm not sure about the litigation thing though.  The California mid-size firms have similar practice areas to big firms (and about split 50-50 for litigation and transactional).  The Texas ones might be more litigation focused. 

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2008, 01:55:24 PM »
^Very true about Texas having more mid-size firms. 

I'm not sure about the litigation thing though.  The California mid-size firms have similar practice areas to big firms (and about split 50-50 for litigation and transactional).  The Texas ones might be more litigation focused. 

Your midlaw = 30-150 lawyers?

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2008, 03:56:28 PM »

You are overgeneralizing and exaggerating.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2008, 04:20:07 PM »

Wally? no never

h2xblive

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2008, 04:39:34 PM »

Dallas, Houston, and ATL are decently midlawered.

Midlaw is almost exclusively litigation though...

I'm really glad you said this, as it can explain why today is not the best time to be interested in transactional law.

Even this summer, I knew big law firms' corporate departments were hurting...and that was even before the whole mortgage crisis/financial meltdown became "official."

« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2008, 05:14:57 PM »

Ugh . . . no.  But it's possible you're in F, which is widely considered the "fun" section.