Law School Discussion

Where Can I Find MID-LEVEL FIRMS?! (Not on NALP.)

Where Can I Find MID-LEVEL FIRMS?! (Not on NALP.)
« on: November 09, 2008, 10:27:31 PM »
Sorry for the caps.  I'm trying to round out my applications.  I want to look in Chicago and a big Midwestern state that rhymes with Daiwa.  I also have some family near New York that might have me for da summer.

I want to work at a firm pretty badly.  I told someone it was a dream job and they laughed at me.

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Where Can I Find MID-LEVEL FIRMS?! (Not on NALP.)
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 12:08:04 AM »
I want to work at a firm pretty badly.  I told someone it was a dream job and they laughed at me.

I don't totally understand this. Obviously, the ability to make some money and pay off more loans is great, but a dream job?  ??? You do know that you'll have your pick of firm jobs 2L summer, if that's what you want to do, right? There are soooo many cool things you can do 1L summer besides working for a firm. I hear you barking if your point is that you want to pay off the loans ASAP, but in terms of the job itself, I don't really see why you wouldn't broaden your horizons.

That said, I don't really have good advice on finding mid-level firms. Sorry.

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 12:24:57 AM »
I just put that in there to give the post gravitas.  I looked through NALP and Symplicity (sp?), but I was hoping to find further resources.  It seems like NALP dominates the big big firms, and Symplicity had a few mid-level things, but I think a good bet is to find the more reasonably-sized firms that'll pay okay and give me good experience.

Thanks, anyway, Goaliechica.   :P  You all set for next summer?

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 12:28:36 AM »
Thanks, anyway, Goaliechica.   :P  You all set for next summer?

You're welcome for my not-at-all-on-topic busy-body-ness  :D

And yup, all set, thank goodess. I don't like making decisions, so I'm glad it's done with.

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 12:31:51 AM »
I don't mean to snoop, but may I ask where you're working?  I'm guessing it's a firm, or perhaps splitting a summer between a firm and somewhere else?

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 12:58:46 AM »
www.Martindale.com

Put in your search criteria and go to town.  Also--although it has fewer midlaw options--for practice specific info check out http://www.chambersandpartners.com/.

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 09:48:59 AM »
Fine.  I know people at Harvard and T6 schools that DON'T HAVE JOBS.  Better?

Maybe you've missed that whole Harvard-begging-firms-to-choose-from-their-portfolio-of-unhired-students deal on ATL?

Maybe you are assuming ATL is far more credible than it is?  It is a gossip site.  Newsflash, sure the economy blows, but I assure you that Harvard students aren't starving.  Sure, they may not be getting their usual Vault 10 offers, but any law student that wants a Biglaw salary can get it.  They just may have to take a non-vault 100 firm, but who cares, $160k is still $160k.

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 10:07:47 AM »
Ugh . . . no.  Starting your career at Nowhere LLP isn't exactly a good choice.

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 10:15:36 AM »
I meant any Harvard student that wants Biglaw can get it.  It may be a secondary market, but firms always want that Harvard name.  It's about marketing.

Matthies

• View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 10:30:52 AM »
Don't know if you've tried to get a job in a secondary market lately, but it's actually much tighter in some regions than the NYC, DC, LA route....

And they don't pay 160k