Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Visited Penn  (Read 6848 times)

MauveAvenger

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Visited Penn
« on: November 09, 2008, 05:49:07 PM »
So I visited Penn Friday, and I have to say I was shocked by how friendly people were. I mean, there was a pretty snooty Penn undergrad in our group, but the law students were sooo nice. One guy came up to me after the torts class and was all "Hey were you just in there? Did you like it? Yeah awesome. Good luck!" Really cute guy too ;) The torts class was an insurance kind of emphasis and I loved it. Very engaging, students seemed interested in the topic, the professor seemed cool. I mean I know they put the tour groups in the great classes but still, pretty sweet.

The building felt very safe, seeing as there are security guards at both entrances and you have to show ID to get in, or show a license and sign on a sheet why you're there. It didn't seem like there were any crappy classrooms, but rather they had an "updated" feel, even though they were a bit chilly. They showed us some lockers in the basement area of the building where 1Ls get their own space (like elementary school cubbies, one might say!) and told us they're really useful considering how many books 1Ls have to drag around. One of the 1Ls said the graduate housing is a bit old and dilapidated, but what are you going to do.

Overall, I'm definitely glad I applied there, and it's still at the top of my list.

Any Penn people find fault with this brief analysis?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Visited Penn
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 10:23:50 PM »
Number of Penn Law students/graduates I have met: 6
Number that weren't gunnerdouches: 0

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:37:22 AM »
As far as Penn people being "gunners"... um.  NO.  Our whole rep is based on a lack of gunners lol.

You have Penn confused with UVa.

Most Penn kids don't realize it because they have always been surrounded by fellow strivers.

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 11:59:55 AM »
I think both groups here are being extreme- obviously there are some gunners at penn (ahem, section 1), just like there are certainly some at UVa.  On the whole though, I think Penn's student body is very friendly, as it has a reputation for.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 01:57:42 PM »
I think that the Penn people are not gunners at all.  Everyone I have met so far has been really nice, uncompetitive, and helpful as far as answering questions, sharing notes/outlines, etc.

We tend to be a friendly lot, and we do our share of partying as well.

That being said, it's not an every night occurrence, so to some people at schools where is IS an every night occurrence, we may seem like gunners.

;D

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 04:14:26 PM »
There's a difference between caring enough to study and being a gunner.

Every gunnerdouche I know says this.

MahlerGrooves

• Sr. Citizen
  • See! Leonard Bernstein gave me a shoutout!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 05:43:38 PM »
There's a difference between caring enough to study and being a gunner.

Every gunnerdouche I know says this.

Actually, every gunnerdouche I know says what you just did (not at my school mind you because, as I said earlier, we do not have any).

TimMitchell

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 05:52:35 PM »
::swoons for Penn::

Have you guys stormed the admissions office and forced them to admit me yet?

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 07:32:14 PM »
I go out 3-4 times a week and manage to get all my work done.  The school reputations are stupid and usually inaccurate.  The difference between a Penn Law student and a Harvard Law student is usually nothing more than a few points on the LSAT or GPA.

Outlaw22

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 07:38:58 PM »
wait, no one at Penn goes out 4x a week?

you are pushing me into the arms of uva and mich...

They do. They're known as section 2.

Lol... those arent my kind of people so I likely gravitated away from those types when school started :) 

And by going out I meant literally getting drunk, not just going to dinner or grabbing a drink at happy hour.  

Kasm -you forgot to mention your bff who has liquid lunches before Torts class occasionally...  ;)
Penn Law Class of 2011