Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Anyone know anything about Iowa?  (Read 660 times)

Yaguars

• View Profile
Anyone know anything about Iowa?
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:05:52 PM »
As a Midwesterner I'm strongly considering Iowa.  There's a guy over on TLS, though, who has set up shop as an Iowa hater, posting his own opinions and links to jdunderground that rip iowa as a faltering institution with increasingly lousy faculty and a diversity-obsessed dean who, in this guy's words, is openly hostile to white heterosexual males. He also claims the professors care more about sharing their opinions than teaching the law.  I know jdunderground people are really bitter, but this guy is relentless.  I'm wondering if anyone knows anything about iowa or if anyone here goes to iowa that can share their opinions about the school.  I don't really care about the diversity thing, but does anyone think this is a school that's slipping?  It's a perennial top-25 that has been declining in the rankings in recent years, though it's still top 30.   

isustudent

• View Profile
Re: Anyone know anything about Iowa?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
I'm from the midwest too, and am really considering Iowa as well.  I've went and visited, and have a lot of friends that go there, and from what I've seen I can tell you that guy is a tool. The class I sat in on was great, and the professor was the best out of other schools I have visited (of course, it's only one professor and I've only visited Notre Dame, Drake and Iowa, so take it how you want)

From what I have heard from people who attend there, Iowa is a more theory based school.  This could be good, as it's not like they are just working to get you a job in the midwest, like some more regional schools can.  I know they are really good if you want to go into teaching.  I know for what I am interested in I've looked at their placement in federal clerkships, and they do just as well as peer schools.

I think Iowa gets a bad rap because people favor the coasts, as there generally are more opportunities there.  From what I have heard from my friends there are still a great amount of opportunities for students, and Iowa is still pretty highly regarded in the midwest.

Hope that helps

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 04:57:28 PM »
I've met a few folks that went to Iowa and they all seemed to like it.

The rule of thumb when dealing with someone from jdunderground is to take everything they say with a massive grain of salt. Those people are that small percentage of people that go to every law school that:

- Can't find work
- Can only find *&^% work
- Failed out
- Can't pass the bar

No one really knows what their problems usually are, but it's safe to say personality might be high on the list.

That said, the site makes for some good comedic moments. 
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Yaguars

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 09:44:20 PM »
Thanks to both of you.  That definitely helps.

,.,.,.;.,.,.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 10:06:41 PM »
I seriously doubt that Iowa is "good for teaching."  People are hard-pressed to find teaching jobs at my school, much less an unprestigious Midwest state school.

MLaw11

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 10:35:23 PM »
I seriously doubt that Iowa is "good for teaching."  People are hard-pressed to find teaching jobs at my school, much less an unprestigious Midwest state school.

A very large number of teaching positions are filled by graduates of the top 2-3 schools.  Even students at top 10 schools often have difficulty.  While a theoretical approach may develop skills that aid in teaching, law schools' hiring preferences mean that it will be very difficult to secure a teaching position from Iowa.

I guess it was possible to provide the same information without trashing Iowa. ::)