Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Question about content  (Read 784 times)

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
Question about content
« on: November 09, 2008, 01:48:34 AM »
So, I finally got my personal statement rolling, but it contains a little bit of joking sarcasm. I'm wondering if this should be eliminated entirely, or if I can leave it in my statement. It isn't the main focus of the statement, and it's not offensive, but I've gotten the impression from Anna Ivey that it might not be well-received. I'm a pretty sarcastic person, so I feel like taking it out detracts from my statement as a reflection of myself. Thoughts?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
Re: Question about content
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 01:58:57 AM »
It probably depends on what you're saying and why.
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 02:19:23 AM »
In the beginning of my statement I'm running on a treadmill and talking about the various ways I distract myself from how badly it sucks. One of them includes observing this kid who always comes to the gym in shirts with the sleeves cut off and spends 50% of the time checking himself out in the mirrored wall where he lifts weights, so I'm kind of making fun of him. It's just a brief part of the story, which is basically going to be about how between junior and senior year I replaced all of my bad habits, academic and otherwise (exercise and diet, here), with more sustainable ones. How I stopped procrastinating and cramming for exams, which allowed me to spend 3 months self-studying for the LSAT, and how I stopped speed dieting, lost the 30, yes 30, pounds I gained freshman year, and now run 30 miles a week. All of this is going to relate to what caused this change, and how I think this has made me capable of handling whatever law school throws at me. So yeah, it's a few sentences just making a little bit of fun of this kid. What do you think?

blueskies6

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/blueskies6/jd
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 02:42:08 AM »
Sounds like you're putting a person down...probably not the way you want ad comms to perceive you?
awkward follows you like a beer chasing a shot of tequila.

heartbreaker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 02:44:15 AM »
Sarcasm generally doesn't translate well in writing (trust me, I know). Even if you're naturally witty and sarcastic, it's quite hard pulling that off in a PS without sounding like a jerk.

booyakasha45

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 02:49:41 AM »
Yeah, true. A total stranger probably won't read it as I intend him/her to. The last thing I want is for law schools to think I'm an arrogant a-hole. Thanks, both of you.