Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Friendly competition wanted  (Read 1018 times)

KidCourage

• View Profile
Friendly competition wanted
« on: November 08, 2008, 11:05:47 PM »
Hello all,

I'm studying for the LSAT and am looking for individuals who may, like myself, be looking for some extra motivation for studying/testing. Some friendly competition never hurt anyone and I think it will in fact be able to light a fire under some people. So, I would like to extend an invitation to anyone who would like to participate.

The idea is that each weekend each participant submit a score they get from taking a practice LSAT. This goes from this weekend until the weekend of November 29th. You can take your test at any time during the weekend under regular LSAT time restrictions. There are no losers, since to improve on the LSAT is a win in itself, however there will be 2 "winners":

1) The person with the highest overall timed score.
2) The person with the greatest increase in score between two consecutive tests.

Honesty is expected.
The prize is bragging rights on this thread.

Best of luck,
KidCourage

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Friendly competition wanted
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 11:13:25 PM »
one slight problem.. i consistently score over 180.

/gameover. :-*

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • i'm in ur LSAT blowin' ur curve
    • AOL Instant Messenger - EarlCat78
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:43:31 PM »

You can only win one of the prizes...

hopeful1985

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:08:47 PM »

You can only win one of the prizes...

wow, you're right i must have overlooked that other awesome prize. i'll have to drop my score to a massive level and bring it back up to above a 180 shortly after. thanks for the headsup Earl.  ;)

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 08:24:37 AM »
sandbagging is always in your own self-interest.

angiej

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 08:35:10 AM »
I think this is a very cool idea.  I am just starting to study in prep of taking the LSAT next year.  I will surely be in the running for the most improved since I haven't even taken my first test yet.  Are there requirements on the test?  Can it be from a powerscore or kaplan book or does it need to be past official tests?

Twiigg

• What you get out of it depends on how you play it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 09:03:25 PM »
Sounds like a great idea to me.  I won't be able to participate this week, but perhaps next weekend.  I need to get an LSAT review book.  I went with the Princeton Review for my ACT prep back in the day.  Anyone have any experience with the Princeton Review's LSAT prep book?  Is it a good place to start?

Also wondering what source we will look to for our "official" practice tests!
If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed.
--Albert Einstein

tcwhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 09:25:15 PM »
Sounds like a great idea to me.  I won't be able to participate this week, but perhaps next weekend.  I need to get an LSAT review book.  I went with the Princeton Review for my ACT prep back in the day.  Anyone have any experience with the Princeton Review's LSAT prep book?  Is it a good place to start?

You would probably be better off starting with the Powerscore Bibles and going from there.

I don't know what you mean by this.  Get all the practice tests from LSAC or Amazon.

https://os.lsac.org/Release/Shop/Shop_Books.aspx?po=Y#prep

EarlCat

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • EarlDoesLSAT.com
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 09:36:17 PM »
Anyone have any experience with the Princeton Review's LSAT prep book?  Is it a good place to start?

If you're talking about Princeton Review's "Cracking the LSAT," then no.  Don't buy that unless you need kindling for your fireplace.  Also don't buy anything from Kaplan, Barrons, Arco, Dummies, or McGraw Hill.  Most retail LSAT books SUCK.

If you're talking about Princeton Review's "LSAT Workout," no, I wouldn't start there.  Don't get that one unless you're consistently hitting above 165.  If you are hitting above 165, I highly recommend it for games and RC.

If you're talking about Princeton Review's Hyperlearning books (that come with the course),  they're great but won't do you much good without actually taking the course (which I do recommend, as long as you make sure the instructor is good--do your homework!).

If you're going to take a class or get a tutor, don't buy any official preptests--they'll be provided for you.  If you're self-studying, buy all of them, including the SuperPrep, from Amazon or your local bookstore.

lisaklein20

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 10:03:51 PM »
ok buddy is this still going on cuz this weekend ur gonna lose

Heh, I'll try this out. Might motivate me to take some PrepTests. :)