Law School Discussion

-

Re: Chicago Student Doing CivPro on Friday Night. Taking Questions.
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2008, 10:53:19 PM »
I'm mostly bored.

Also studying for the MPRE, Clairel?   :P

sheltron5000

• All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2008, 10:58:20 PM »
Okay, what's your favorite thing about chicago, and one thing you would change if you could?

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2008, 11:00:41 PM »
Okay, what's your favorite thing about chicago, and one thing you would change if you could?

School or city?   ???

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2008, 11:18:28 PM »
Chicago is my first choice (I think) and just went complete there a couple of days ago (3.6, 172). I have a few questions about the school/city though:

1) How are the people? Does it live up to it's nerdy billing?

2) Do the students get out, socialize, go to bars?

3) With the law and economics focus is it hard to succeed without an econ background?

4) How do you get to downtown Chicago? How long does it take (from campus)

« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2008, 11:26:53 PM »
Good luck.

1. To an extent.  No matter what type you are, I think you can find a crowd.  There are fratty people, intellectual people (a few are even working on doctorates on the side), social people, and less social people.

2. All the time.  We have Bar Review on Thursday, and people have hosted many parties at Regent's and even New Grad.  If anything, there are too many social things.

3. No.  I'm only a 1L, but it hasn't come up yet.  Older students tell me it's borderline irrelevant to most exams, existing on the fringes of policy discussions.  Of course, you'll learn to become adept with concepts like incentives and deterrance, but they don't require an econ background.

4. It takes fifteen minutes with the 6 and a half hour with the Metra.  Both will drop you by the Art Institute and Aon Center.

sheltron5000

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2008, 11:31:31 PM »
How bored are you? Let's do school first, then city if you feel like it ;)

« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2008, 11:38:21 PM »
How bored are you? Let's do school first, then city if you feel like it ;)

I'm starting to get into the swing of some Zubulake questions -- awesome case, if you want to look it up.  A woman equities trader who earned 650k a year sued UBS for employment and promotion-related discrimination and sought sanctions because they lost some of her old e-mails with supervisors.  One of those sanctions, and the most relevant to our future exam (IMO), is about an adverse inference.

37(e) in the Discovery FRCP is very interesting.  I would love to learn more about electronic discovery, but, alas, there's still an exam to study for.

Let me think about the school.  If I could change something, you ask?

I most love the intellectual atmosphere here.  I don't feel nerdy going up to my friends and talking about, say, discovery for an hour.

If I could change one thing, I would make it more prestigious.  It's still a great school, but I'm somewhat prestige-fixated, and I always envy how Harvard Law grads seem to rule the world.  That said, I have absurd ambitions, and, for all intents and purposes, Chicago places very well at every level from SCOTUS clerks to Wachtell and down to Vault 100 firms and market.

sheltron5000

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2008, 11:51:09 PM »
LOL, I understood about a quarter of that response, yet I find myself oddly sympathetic. *Nerd alert*

Chicago sounds awesome. But I'm trying not to get my hopes up, or get too attached. Other schools are good too right?

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2008, 12:11:53 AM »
LOL, I understood about a quarter of that response, yet I find myself oddly sympathetic. *Nerd alert*

Chicago sounds awesome. But I'm trying not to get my hopes up, or get too attached. Other schools are good too right?

I think so.  Obviously, I've neither OCIed at nor attended other schools, but I imagine that our peer schools aren't too different.