Law School Discussion

-

-
« on: November 07, 2008, 08:14:52 PM »
-

goaliechica

• It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago Student Doing CivPro on Friday Night. Taking Questions.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:47:41 PM »
What happens if you add documents or supplements to a 12(c) motion?

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 08:52:19 PM »
What happens if you add documents or supplements to a 12(c) motion?

We mostly skipped over that rule in favor of summary judgment and Rule 12(b)(6) dismissals, but I'm guessing that, since the court wants to rule on the pleadings, documents or supplements would put them in Rule 56 or possibly Rule 50 territory.  Rule 12(c) seems designed to look at the pleading allegations at face value, rather than inquire into them.

ETA: How are things?   :)

goaliechica

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:54:08 PM »
documents or supplements would put them in Rule 56

Yup! My professor was really fond of that fact, for some reason.

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 09:15:02 PM »

OMG.  I'm on cloud nine.  I'm shocked I got a CivPro question right.

::clouds drift away, sun shines::

goaliechica

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 09:21:54 PM »

OMG.  I'm on cloud nine.  I'm shocked I got a CivPro question right.

::clouds drift away, sun shines::

Yay! You seem like you like Civ Pro. That's totally half the battle  :D

ETA: How are things?   :)

Home on a Friday night studying for the MPRE, but otherwise not bad.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 10:13:53 PM »
No one?  I would have been all over this thread a year ago, but, then again, I've been told I'm a very detail-fixated and info-obsessive person.

wkjr

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 10:24:57 PM »
i'll bite - what were your other choices a year ago, and why'd you pick chicago over the others (everyone knows chicago is in the ccn tier and northwestern is in the dgnc tier of the t14, but seriously, northwestern's location ROCKS...how do you overcome the hyde park doldrums?)

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 10:29:07 PM »
i'll bite - what were your other choices a year ago, and why'd you pick chicago over the others (everyone knows chicago is in the ccn tier and northwestern is in the dgnc tier of the t14, but seriously, northwestern's location ROCKS...how do you overcome the hyde park doldrums?)

Not a bad question.  I'm wrapping the work product exception as defined by a SCOTUS case, Hickman v. Taylor, but I'm happy to discuss this subject.

First, I have to admit that Northwestern is in a nice, upscale, and expensive neighborhood, but I also think that's a downside.  Hyde Park may not be the most exciting place in the world, but it's cheap and I can always take the number 6 up to the Loop (it's a fifteen minute trip).

If I work hard and do well, I'll be happy to lease a place in the Gold Coast, but, for now, I'm content to live like a student.  School is expensive enough as is.   :P

My final choice was between UVa with a half tuition and Chicago with a more modest scholarship.  I picked Chicago based on the slight prestige bump and the feel, and I'm glad I did.  I would advise you to go with your gut, no matter how cheesy it sounds.  You'll "click" with a school.

clairel

• UChicago 3L
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 10:49:54 PM »
omg. please stop, another chicago 1L. everyone thinks they're destined for litigation stardom their first quarter. please, just...chill out until 2L summer or AT LEAST UNTIL you talk to litigation/corporate associates when you do your oral arguments in apring 2009. you will have much more relevant information then. for now. study, yes, have fun, yes. give advice to the 0Ls after you're gotten two quarters worth of grades. sorry. i know you're trying.