Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: 70% of African Americans voted yes to Prop 8  (Read 2052 times)

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: 70% of African Americans voted yes to Prop 8
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2008, 08:24:48 PM »
Quote from: Tim Mitchell

F*cking bi+ch drinks a 1 oz bottle of goose and thinks she's French

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2008, 08:25:10 PM »
Regardless, PJC, that number is very interesting.

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2008, 08:30:12 PM »

I don't think it's very interesting per se, nor is it surprising.  Many African Americans are conservative when it comes to the gay community in general.  Obama's candidacy was a double edged sword for Prop 8 and this was something discussed in the weeks leading up to the election.

vercingetorix

• Sr. Citizen
  • Vive le quebec libre
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 08:31:48 PM »

it is, and yet in classic liberal knee-jerk fashion the reaction from the left is "HOW.....DARE....YOU....sir?"  just pointing out a very interesting demographic rift in the liberal bloc.  it is also interesting how if you voted yes to prop 8 as a white dude, you are obviously a mouth-breathing hayseed, but if you voted yes to prop 8 as a black person this is just further proof of your oppression.  a mite paternalistic no?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:35:12 PM »

it is, and yet in classic liberal knee-jerk fashion the reaction from the left is "HOW.....DARE....YOU....sir?"  just pointing out a very interesting demographic rift in the liberal bloc.  it is also interesting how if you voted yes to prop 8 as a white dude, you are obviously a mouth-breathing hayseed, but if you voted yes to prop 8 as a black person this is just further proof of your oppression.  a mite paternalistic no?

LMAO!  The "liberal" bloc, you say?  Or, might you be referring to the Democratic Party (which is not the same thing as being liberal)?  If you actually spent a significant amount of time in any black communities (having a singular black friend doesn't count), this wouldn't be shocking.  Many point to religion as the rationale which, just as I believe for whites, is no excuse.

Also, if you voted yes on Prop 8 no matter what race you are, you're a complete a-hole in my opinion.  No racism here.

Signed,
A POC who voted NO

bloomlaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 08:38:36 PM »

I don't think it's very interesting per se, nor is it surprising.  Many African Americans are conservative when it comes to the gay community in general.  Obama's candidacy was a double edged sword for Prop 8 and this was something discussed in the weeks leading up to the election.

Well I guess what would make it more interesting is if we could see the rural white demographic- the typical conservative inland counties far from the coast- and see how the AA vote compared to their numbers. If those numbers are similar, I think it provides evidence an intriguing conclusion. We city people like to think of country people who are against gay rights as "backward", so it would be fair to say the same about African Americans, no?

Jamie Stringer

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 08:44:16 PM »

Well I guess what would make it more interesting is if we could see the rural white demographic- the typical conservative inland counties far from the coast- and see how the AA vote compared to their numbers. If those numbers are similar, I think it provides evidence an intriguing conclusion. We city people like to think of country people who are against gay rights as "backward", so it would be fair to say the same about African Americans, no?

No, it would be fair to say about African Americans who voted for Prop 8.  Remember, 30% still voted no.  It wouldn't be entirely accurate to paint the entire group with that brush, particularly as I am one of that 30%.

Julie Fern

• LSD Obsessed
  • hillary clinton say "boo!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 08:47:42 PM »

it is, and yet in classic liberal knee-jerk fashion the reaction from the left is "HOW.....DARE....YOU....sir?" just pointing out a very interesting demographic rift in the liberal bloc. it is also interesting how if you voted yes to prop 8 as a white dude, you are obviously a mouth-breathing hayseed, but if you voted yes to prop 8 as a black person this is just further proof of your oppression. a mite paternalistic no?

it "interestinhg" because you like sowing racial/ethnic discord.

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 08:50:31 PM »
According to an exit poll which included  a whopping 224 total African-American respondents.

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/results/polls/#CAI01p1

Whether it's true or not, surprising or not, or demonstrates that it's now "fair" to call African-Americans "backward" (um, no), let's take this with a grain of salt, shall we?
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.