Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jobs that will pay for part time law school?  (Read 4824 times)

anya

• View Profile
Jobs that will pay for part time law school?
« on: November 07, 2008, 08:00:36 PM »
Hi all, I have big loans from undergrad, but I want to go to law school. I would love to get a job that would pay for law school, but I'm not sure where those jobs are. I was a Fulbright T.A. for two years after college and I'm applying to schools now, but considering waiting a year if I can find a job that will pay for me. Ideas? Thanks!

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs that will pay for part time law school?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2008, 02:04:20 PM »
I don't think that you would be able to find one.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 02:28:35 PM »
Look for jobs that include tuition reimbursement (without the “must be related to your job" strings), its usually caped at like $5200 a year (and is paid after you complete the classes, so you got to pay up front), a bunch of my classmates do this, they work in the computer industry, insurance industry, or at the school (if you work at the school you get 6 free credits a semester at my school).   
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

anya

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 03:35:03 PM »
Thanks Matthies, I think I've seen you on LSD before. You go to Denver? It seems like part time works out well for you. A friend who worked at Georgetown suggested that I look into that last route you mentioned. I'm also considering working full time and paying for an evening program myself, I'm just not sure if that's a smart idea, if I'd be one of the few.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 06:27:11 PM »
Thanks Matthies, I think I've seen you on LSD before. You go to Denver? It seems like part time works out well for you. A friend who worked at Georgetown suggested that I look into that last route you mentioned. I'm also considering working full time and paying for an evening program myself, I'm just not sure if that's a smart idea, if I'd be one of the few.

75% of my classmates in the PT program work fulltime demanding jobs, number 1 in our class is an airline pilot, number 2 is an MD. It can be done, but you need to be extreemly good at time managment.
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

anya

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 07:13:49 PM »
Wow, that's amazing. And do most people pay for the part time program themselves?

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 10:39:01 AM »
Wow, that's amazing. And do most people pay for the part time program themselves?

Yes, I think the most debt anyone I know of from my class will have is like 25k, and that is becuase he quit his job and took loans for the last year so he could intern at the PDs office fulltime, he really wants to be a PD so by working there for free for a year he hopes that will mean he is on the top of the list to get hired when we graduate in may. I'm sure there are people with more debt, but I don't know any of them personally, all my freinds work and pay for school, and my school is NOT cheap (40k per year with living expenses).