Law School Discussion

Movie Reference in PS?

Movie Reference in PS?
« on: November 06, 2008, 05:07:58 PM »
Weird question...I am reworking my whole PS, and I was wondering, is it okay to refer to a movie in your PS? The specific movie is Dead Poets Society - I know, I know, might seem a bit overused, but I think it works in mine. It is by no means a CENTRAL part or theme of my statement, but I like the flavor it adds. Too dangerous to throw in a passing reference to it like "As an advocate of liberal education and a loyal watcher of Dead Poets Society, I rebelled against this sort of rigidity"...or something like that? Thanks

bloomlaw

• Welcome to the Monkey House
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Movie Reference in PS?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »
Weird question...I am reworking my whole PS, and I was wondering, is it okay to refer to a movie in your PS? The specific movie is Dead Poets Society - I know, I know, might seem a bit overused, but I think it works in mine. It is by no means a CENTRAL part or theme of my statement, but I like the flavor it adds. Too dangerous to throw in a passing reference to it like "As an advocate of liberal education and a loyal watcher of Dead Poets Society, I rebelled against this sort of rigidity"...or something like that? Thanks

I'm not an expert on this (and noone here is), but I think the reference, in the above context, more illustrates your ability to use creative ways to support your writing. TIt's obviously a bit of tongue in cheek humor as well.  Definitely use it if like this.

Gone

• Goodbye All!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 06:31:16 PM »
What if the person reading your PS hasn't seen the movie?

vjm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:37:58 PM »
Or has a different take on it?

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2008, 01:08:44 AM »
I personally don't like how it sounds. I mean my first thought was "what is a 'loyal' watcher of a movie, anyways?" Whatever point you are trying to say through referencing the movie would be much stronger if you just said it point blank, in my opinion.

Top Cat

• Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2008, 08:21:02 AM »
I think it is fine, even if the adcomm hasn't seen the movie.  It is clearly tongue-in-cheek, as an earlier poster pointed out, and the point isn't entirely lost if the reviewer hasn't seen it.

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2008, 08:29:11 AM »
yes use it, but come up with something more interesting.  youre basically saying "ive watched the movie many times and i like it" - its not clever enough in its current state to justify its use.

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2008, 08:30:41 AM »
So long as you do not include a reference to how the movie Legally Blond inspired you to become an attorney. 

Top Cat

• Ky. born, Ky. bred... when I die, I'll be Ky. dead
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2008, 08:50:31 AM »
So long as you do not include a reference to how the movie Legally Blond inspired you to become an attorney. 

When Reese Witherspoon rescued that dog from that mean old trailer man, well I just felt something in the pit of my stomach saying this is what you were meant to do.   :D

That would be a disaster.

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2008, 08:54:21 AM »

When Reese Witherspoon rescued that dog from that mean old trailer man, well I just felt something in the pit of my stomach saying this is what you were meant to do.   :D

That would be a disaster.

That's hilarious!  Although to be honest, considering my first "career" was as a hairstylist (I do not intend to include this in my app) and I am known to act like a "valley girl" its pretty inspiring that even I, as ditzy as I may be, can go to law school.