Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Pick a law school for me  (Read 1468 times)

BarbellDreams

• View Profile
    • Email
Pick a law school for me
« on: November 06, 2008, 06:23:26 PM »
Its pretty early for me to apply since I still have a year of undergrad, but just for fun, recommend a school for me. I really don't care where it is in the US, as long as it is the best school available that will get me the best job I will go to Alaska for all I care.

Stats:

GPA: 3.4
LSAT: 165
Tier One Undergrad school
Very good recommendations

Thoughts where I could realistically get in?

hitmon33

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Pikc a law school for me
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2008, 06:26:37 PM »
Maybe somewhat of a reach, but I would try BU, BC, and USC.  Fordham as well.  UC Davis or Hastings would be a good bet too. 

Perhaps GT part-time?

Betty_Crocker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2008, 06:28:31 PM »
Do you just want to go the the "best" (as in highest ranked) law school? Or are there other considerations like job prospects and tuition/cost?

BarbellDreams

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2008, 06:30:55 PM »
By "best", I simply mean the school that I will come out of with the highest chance of obtaining a quality job (I plan on criminal law), I can only assume the rankings tie into this fairly tightly.

Matthies

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • Tell me where you are going to school and you get a cat!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2008, 06:36:45 PM »
By "best", I simply mean the school that I will come out of with the highest chance of obtaining a quality job (I plan on criminal law), I can only assume the rankings tie into this fairly tightly.

Defense or prosecution? FYI Alaska does not have a law school  :P
*In clinical studies, Matthies was well tolerated, but women who are pregnant, nursing or might become pregnant should not take or handle Matthies due to a rare, but serious side effect called him having to make child support payments.

Drew P. Bottom

• Sr. Citizen
  • You do not understand the power of the dark side.
    • View Profile
Re: Pick a law school for me
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2008, 12:50:41 AM »
Fordham
"If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy." -- James Madison

sheltron5000

• Sr. Citizen
  • All weather operation. Batteries not included.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2008, 01:33:44 AM »
Udub ;)
LSN

I'd love to join this LGBT club.  It's the Legos, Gobots, Barbies, and other Toys group, right?  I'll show up with an armful of toys.

Ninja1

• Sr. Citizen
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2008, 04:20:11 AM »

Actually, I think this is an area of the law where rankings lose a lot of importance unless you're talking about white collar criminal defense.
I'mma stay bumpin' till I bump my head on my tomb.

Clayton

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2008, 02:08:22 PM »

Actually, I think this is an area of the law where rankings lose a lot of importance unless you're talking about white collar criminal defense.

It's more important to go a school in the region that you want to practice for crim law.

Sylvester Pennoyer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 01:39:28 AM »
If you're not particularly concerned about where you go, I'd say that you should look for schools that are in parts of the country where you'd like live and that have median LSAT's around 160.  Any school that meets that description will be a quality school and can get you a great job if you perform well.  By "undergunning" you will have an excellent shot at bagging a scholarship, and, more importantly jobwise, a solid chance of finishing near the top of the class.